Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Why debadge when you can rebadge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Default Why debadge when you can rebadge?

Here it is, my i30cw Touring, the only one in existence? Sorry for the image quality; the sun wasn't cooperating.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

I like it. Very nice.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Default Re-Badge

Looks great! I wonder if the vehicle would sell better badged the way your is rather than the standard method. Not sure why they ever called it the Elantra Touring?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 PM

I guess that's because the Elantra name is synonym of reliability since 5years and +.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Default better photo

Finally got a chance to take another photo:

Anybody else think the side styling is reminiscent of another auto company's wagon? Even the wheel covers look similar! However, I much prefer the Touring's window arrangement (a single C-pillar makes for a very unified look) and the rear styling.

But how about hard numbers for the Touring vs 530i xDrive... Touring has more front and rear headroom and leg room, larger max cargo capacity, better fuel efficiency, better reliability, is smaller on the outside, and is 1/3 the price! Not sure what the extra 15" in length and 1200 pounds in weight is gaining for the 530i.

Last edited by hyundaivirgin; 07-08-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Seriously, you are comparing a BMW 5-series wagon to a Touring? Sure, the Touring is a great vehicle but it's not even in the same class as the 5-series.

How about those hard numbers:
- front headroom: BMW = 39.1" - Touring = 40.0" (difference of only 0.9")
- rear headroom: BMW = 39.2" - Touring = 39.4" (difference of only 0.2")
- front leg room: BMW = 41.5" - Touring = 43.5" (difference of 2.0")
- rear leg room: BMW = 36.0" - Touring = 36.4" (difference of only 0.4")

While the BMW is longer and wider than the Touring, the Touring is taller. That's why it has more headroom. But if you compare other measurements like the shoulder room, you will see the BMW has more room side to side:
- front shoulder room: BMW = 57.3" - Touring = 55.4" (difference of 1.9")
- rear shoulder room: BMW = 57.2" - Touring = 54.7" (difference of 2.5")

The higher max cargo is only because the front passenger seat in the Touring folds while it doesn't in the 5-series. Cargo area BEHIND the rear seats is LARGER in the 5-series.
- maximum cargo capacity (seats folded): BMW = 58.0 cu-ft - Touring = 65.0 cu-ft
- maximum luggage capacity (seats unfolded): BMW = 33.6 cu-ft = Touring = 24.3 cu-ft

About the better fuel efficiency, you are comparing a full size wagon with a turbocharged 3.0L 6-cylinder and all-wheel drive to a 2.0L compact with FWD.

You claim better reliability but that is just your opinion.

The extra 15" in length and 1200 pounds in weight is gaining the 530 higher horsepower (more than double), higher torque (again, more than double), a 6-speed trans, higher towing capacity, all-wheel drive, TWO power sunroofs, along with dozens of other options not available on the Touring.

Apple . . . orange

Last edited by NovaResource; 07-08-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 PM

I'm not sure we see the purpose of your post Nova. You are the one comparing an apple with an orange. The previous poster was comparing a car to a car. They are both cars. So if you want to spend lots of money on something that functionally does little more for you, on a brand of car that has a lousy quality reputation other than the 3 series, be our guest. We can compare the i30/ET to any car; class is irrelevant. If a 15mpg SUV does little more than waste gas to the ET, then it is fair to ask why would you buy such a thing?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM

I don't mind a spirited discussion. I was worried there would be nothing to discuss, as posting about the cost-effectiveness of the ET on the ET forum is really like preaching to the choir. It is good to see that a Hyundai forum moderator is not blind to the advantages of other cars.

That said, it is my personal opinion that the BMW 530i gives you pitifully more for the price. Of course you can disagree if think those additional things it gives you like AWD, an additional sunroof, a turbo V6 with 6-speed automatic, and a BMW nameplate is worth the premium. It is the last thing that has the largest variance in perceived value among different buyers. To me, however, it seems BMW has pushed the car's performance to be marginally better than the competition at a very dear cost in expense and fuel economy. The predicted reliability per JD Power and Consumer Reports for the 530i is well below that for the ET. I don't think reliability is an opinion; it is a statistic. JD Power and CR may not be perfect but they are all we have to go on.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Caretaker
I'm not sure we see the purpose of your post Nova. You are the one comparing an apple with an orange. The previous poster was comparing a car to a car.
I don't know what you are reading but both my post and the previous post were comparing the exact same things: the Elantra Touring to a BMW 5-series wagon.

They are both cars. So if you want to spend lots of money on something that functionally does little more for you, on a brand of car that has a lousy quality reputation other than the 3 series, be our guest.
Opinion, not fact.

We can compare the i30/ET to any car; class is irrelevant.
Really? Can you compare the Touring to a Bugatti Veyron?

If a 15mpg SUV does little more than waste gas to the ET, then it is fair to ask why would you buy such a thing?
The 5-series wagon is not an SUV it is a full size wagon and it gets 16 mpg city; 23 mpg highway; 18 mpg combined.

Originally Posted by hyundaivirgin
I don't mind a spirited discussion. I was worried there would be nothing to discuss, as posting about the cost-effectiveness of the ET on the ET forum is really like preaching to the choir. It is good to see that a Hyundai forum moderator is not blind to the advantages of other cars.
Thank you. Unlike fanboys, I don't see the Touring as the greatest car ever built and there is no reason to ever consider any other vehicle.

That said, it is my personal opinion that the BMW 530i gives you pitifully more for the price.
Again, see my post above. The 5-series gives you a lot more for your money. Maybe you don't want/need those things but there are thousands of BMW owners that will disagree with you.

Of course you can disagree if think those additional things it gives you like AWD, an additional sunroof, a turbo V6 with 6-speed automatic, and a BMW nameplate is worth the premium.
It's an inline 6-cylinder, not a V6. And yes, I do see the AWD and other luxury items/options worth the money. Can I afford one? No, but if I could I would certainly pick it over the Touring.

It is the last thing that has the largest variance in perceived value among different buyers.
Again, opinion. Many would disagree with you. Resale value for one is MUCH higher for the BMW compared to the Touring. (percent depreciation, not total value)

Last edited by NovaResource; 07-08-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Default ET vs 530

Maybe i can offer a unique view as i own both an ET and a 535xi wagon. Sure they are apples and oranges in some respects, but when evaluated for good, reliable, comfortable transportation, the ET really holds its own.

The BMW offers run-flat tires...tires that are very hard, very noisy, and tires that have cost me $500 a piece to replace when damaged because theoretically you cannot patch them. At 25,000 on the original set, i had to replace them at a $2000 cost.

The BMW has an electronically linked transmission shifter that after it failed and had to be replaced, took the dealership 3 days to RE-CALIBRATE the shifter.

The BMW has a great, large panoramic sun roof the on a trip decided not to close properly. We lost more than six hours, after pulling off the road and waiting for rain to stop. Once at the dealer, they fixed the failed part, then took the rest of the day to RE-CALIBRATE the sun roof.

Our wagon is approaching 50,000 and we had inquired about extending the warranty out to 100,000. The cost...$3,400!!! If we only wanted to extend the maintenance part of the warranty, it alone cost over $2,000.00.

There is no comparison between the 535's engine and the ET's. I have found myself a couple of times with traffic bearing down on me in the ET while accelerating. I may have pulled out to soon, thinking i was in the BMW, but it could use a little more pop. The bimmer's engine is extremely responsive. Also, after driving 40,000+ miles we average 24.4 mpg, though we had to use premium.

Shortly after getting the ET, we took it to Florida, a round trip of about 1500 miles. We drove it in one day each direction, and after arriving we judged the seating as good as or even more comfortable than the 535xi. In the winter, the BMW's seat heaters are fantastic, we will have to judge the ET"s in a few months.

Also, the ET's air conditioning controls are so much simpler to use than the BMW's. Here, there is no comparison, the ET wins hands down.

We do miss the built in NAV, the tinted windows (have no idea why Hyundai wound not make this an option, especially with the ET's big windows), and all wheel drive is nice.

The BMW cost $60,000+ and is a overall a great vehicle, the ET SE less than $20,000. I am not sure the BMW is worth three times the cost of the ET. One last item...the initial numbers of items i needed worked on after taking delivery has been only one...the slight drift to the right. It was fixed in one, one-hour visit to the dealership. Other than that, there has not been a single item that i needed to return to the dealer for repair.

So far, we could not be happier with the ET!

Last edited by Colorguy; 07-09-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Why debadge when you can rebadge?