Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

roof cross bars -- availability

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Default roof cross bars -- availability

We just bought a 2011 Touring SE. Part of the deal was installation of the cross bars. The dealer called and scheduled a 4-hour appointment (!) to install the cross bars. When we saw the car after, we were very puzzled....they had installed a yakima rack with round cross bars. We expressed our concern to the salesperson, who coordinated it. He took us to parts department where we were told the crossbars were not available so they installed the yakima system. We have since researched availability of the cross bars and found them shown on a new SE at a dealer's, at the hyundai site, and on Ebay. We think the dealer may be pulling our leg. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Last edited by ETse5spd; 04-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

The dealer is full if crap:

Hyundai Elantra Touring Cross Rails

Hyundai Elantra Touring Cross Rails

$141.55 On Sale!

Prepare your Elantra Touring for your most favorite recreational activity with our highly versatile Roof Rack Kit.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Thanks NovaResource, we sent the dealer the same link! Does anyone have the crossbars (dealer installed) on their SE or GLS? It may be a jurisdictional thing.....where the crossbars are only installed at the port of entry rather than by a dealer. That's why we're interested in hearing from Touring owners who have had the rails installed by their dealers.

Installed (?): http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1030054.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checked with another dealer, who can get the rails within 24 hrs.

Last edited by ETse5spd; 04-11-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Have you kept the bars for now? ...do you like them?

I'm going to need crossbars but I thought aftermarket ones might be more versatile than Hyundai. I'm interesting in hearing what you think of the Hyundai crossbars if you end up getting them.

I agree it does seem odd they wouldn't install the Hyundai branded crossbars.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:55 AM

I still have the yakima bars as I await the dealer response. Spoke with a dealer rep this am and was told that the cross rails (shown above) are not a certified Hyundai part and therefore can't be warranteed! Dealer claims Hyundai regional rep has taken that position.

The Yakima bars provided are probably better for carrying loads (structurally stronger connection me thinks) and much worse for creating drag and diminished fuel economy.

Does anyone out there know whether this business with the rails is a smokescreen or a legitimate issue?

Old 04-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ETse5spd
Spoke with a dealer rep this am and was told that the cross rails (shown above) are not a certified Hyundai part and therefore can't be warranteed!
The Yakima bars are not a certified Hyundai part either. Are they warranteed?

If not, your choice is between unwarranteed Yakama bars you don't want and unwarranted Hyundai bars that you do want. If neither are covered under the warranty, I'd take the ones you want and get better fuel economy unless you want to haul heavy stuff.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 PM

Good advice, NovaSource. Thanks.

I got it resolved by going to another dealer and explaining my dilemma. They said it's a genuine hyundai part and here's the #. In the meantime, my dealer advises that hyundai bars will be in on Friday. They were candid enough to acknowledge some red faces including their parts dept and the regional hyundai rep.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:05 PM

I'd also mention that the Yakima cross rails are about 100 bucks more, so if you really want the Hyundai cross bars above and were charged for the Yakima system, I'd have something to say to them if I were you. I also think the Hyundai cross rails look better than the cross rails from Thule or Yakima. I believe that the Yakima brand has a bike carrier that will attach to the Hyundai cross rails as well, which is what I want them for.
On another note, I called my local dealer, and he had to put me on hold to find out about them, and then had to get my number to call me back, which he did, and told me he had initial trouble finding them in the system, but could have them the next day.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks Foley2010. We did remind the dealer of the cost difference and the rep looked at us like a Vermont Cow. I was trying to get them to toss in the yakima towers for our difficulty -- dealer in denial that hyundai cross rails exist and then, after discovering their parts people had it wrong, showing no remorse -- and having to prove to them they were wrong to get what we wanted. We decided that we would install the cross rails as they've never done it before and it's easy. When we disconnected the yakima system, we discovered some anomalies (use of different shim/attachment configurations(!)) They took two hours to insert the bars through the towers and attach the towers to the roof rail.........it should have taken 15 - 20 minutes!

That said, the hyundai rails not only look better, but are more aerodynamic and quiet.
So drag will be minimal with just the rails.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Is there a load rating listed for the Hyundai cross rails?

Quick Reply: roof cross bars -- availability