Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Touring Vs. matrix

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Default Touring Vs. matrix

Does anyone have any opinions on the Touring vs. matrix? From specs I see, the touring has better cargo area, less cost, but slightly worse gas mileage. Any feelings about ride, comfort etc. I've already test drove the GLS and SE touring. As it took almost 3hrs to get to test drive and get a quote for a prius from my toyota dealership (with no other customers around) I would prefer not to go back unless there's a chance the matrix maybe better.

Thanks a lot!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:15 AM
Default Touring vs Matrix

I recently purchased a Touring SE and I love this car. I have a bad lower back and ususally it is very uncomfortable for me to travel a 400mile trip. I recently went to visit my mom and dad and logged 425 miles on the trip. I had no discomfort at all with driving the SE that distance. I was really surprised that it rode so well on that long a jaunt. I have found the gas mileage to be very good and better than advertised. My daughter has a Matrix and I like my SE a lot better. Buy the car, you won't be disappointed. Bobby

Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Good reading here (Martix and Vibe are basically the same car):

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8005
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7774
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=6721

If I were to buy today, I'd take the Touring over the Vibe/Matrix. However, soon, Kia (sister company of Hyundai) will be selling a 5-door hatch version of the Forte. When it comes out, I'd buy the Forte Hatch over the Touring. The Touring still has the old 2.0L Beta which is the only flaw in my opinion. The Forte has the newer, more efficient and more powerful 2.0L and 2.4L Theta II engines.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...oor/index.html

Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM

I debated ET vs. Vibe for some time and went with the ET SE and am very happy. More room and options and with the 5 speed manual my average mileage is close to 33.5 and still climbing with about 900 miles on it. It will probably top out a little below the Vibe but the other factors favor the ET.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM

If you're over 6 feet, don't even consider the Matrix. Not enough space I thought when I tried it. No telescopic steering wheel on the Matrix made it impossible to find a good position to drive. On the Touring I have a good position and I still have room over my head.

The new Kia Forte 5-door seems really great. Not sure though that is has enough cargo space for my need. Indeed, the engine of the Touring is not that great, but still enough for my need.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:55 PM

I tried the Vibe and I found the dashboard looked too strange the shifter position was unpleasant and there was not enough room for me (I am only 5' 10").
I like the Kia Forte 5 door since it has the theta engine, but the cargo area looks significantly smaller than the Elantra Touring. I would expect the Forte 5 door to be significantly more expensive than the Elantra Touring as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Balinus
If you're over 6 feet, don't even consider the Matrix. Not enough space I thought when I tried it.
Originally Posted by zero10
I tried the Vibe and I found the dashboard looked too strange the shifter position was unpleasant and there was not enough room for me (I am only 5' 10").
I'm 6'2" and I had plenty of room in the Vibe/Matrix.

Originally Posted by Balinus
The new Kia Forte 5-door seems really great. Not sure though that is has enough cargo space for my need.
I like the Kia Forte 5 door since it has the theta engine, but the cargo area looks significantly smaller than the Elantra Touring.
Looks can be deceiving. There are no stats on it yet so we'll have to wait and see.

I would expect the Forte 5 door to be significantly more expensive than the Elantra Touring as well.
And you're basing that on what? The Elantra sedans are more expensive than similarly equipped Forte sedans. And Kia is the value brand where Hyundai is going more upscale. My guess is the Forte hatch will be cheaper than a Touring but that's something else we'll have to wait on.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
I'm 6'2" and I had plenty of room in the Vibe/Matrix.
oh well, I'm 6'2" too and I didn't feel I had enough space, not as much as the Touring. I guess the original poster should try the Matrix then, even if he's tall as us!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:26 AM

Hi; new member here. I have owned two Vibes (2003 and the 2009). I now own a 2010 ET GLS. Here's the rundown of the winner in each category:
Exterior
Fit and finish: ET
Paint: ET by a mile
Wipers: Vibe
Access: ET
Plastic wheel covers: Vibe
Under the hood
Engine power: ET
Brakes: ET by a mile
Do it yourself repair: Tie
Tranny: ET by a mile
Interior
Driver's comfort: Vibe; yes the 09-10 models do have telescoping steering wheels
Steering: Vibe
Seats: Vibe
Front passenger comfort: ET by a mile
Glove box: Vibe by a mile
Center console: Vibe by a mile
Dash layout: ET
Visibility: ET by a mile
Headroom: Tie
Rear passenger comfort: ET by a mile
Cargo area: ET; better storage nooks in the back, rubber cargo tray; retractable visor
Seat material and Comfort: Vibe
Carpeting and ability to vacuum: ET
Radio: ET
Up front storage: Vibe
Ammenities: ET by a mile

End Results
Reliability: It is tough to beat out a Pontiac Vibe/Totota Matrix/Corolla. The Corolla
is an amazingly reliable car, so I expect the Vibe may beat out the ET on this one.
I sure hope Consumer Reports is correct about the ET

At 6'1'', I am more comfortable driving the Vibe. Both are good for the resting foot/leg position, but the ET needs one more inch for the gas pedal leg. If you have passengers on a regular basis, forget about the Vibe, Matrix, Corolla, Mazda 3, and a dozen other cars in that category. They provide no comfort for those in the back seats.

Last edited by Caretaker; 05-09-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned

While not quite a Matrix, I have had two Vibes ('03, '10) and now have a '10 ET SE.

I mostly agree with the previous post by Caretaker. Good summary!

My '03 Vibe was a manual, 1.8L. I didn't mind the shifter position, and the pedals were positioned well for me--relative heights of gas and brake were good for heel 'n' toe when having some fun. The seating position was never the most comfortable. I like to sit closer to the wheel than most people and, at 5'10", my right knee was right up against the dash and I had to sit rather upright. Fuel mileage was awesome--33mpg average across all seasons and all types of driving. It was a solid, practical car, and I will always think of it fondly.

The '10 Vibe was another story. I ended up hating it, mostly due to the choice of an automatic transmission and the bigger engine (big mistakes!). The gas pedal was insanely touchy, the shift logic illogical and I barely got 21MPG through 8 months of driving--I was expecting more like 26. Plus it had "inconveniences" like auto-on headlights which could not be turned off (Some people like this feature. I don't.) and the passenger seat didn't fold flat like before. I never adjusted to how big the car felt--much bigger feeling than the '03. Basically it was an 8 month argument where the car thought it knew better than I did. No love lost here.

I have had a manual '10 ET SE for a few weeks now and am extremely happy. It's a smoother and easier manual to drive than the '03 Vibe. I like the ride and handling--sporty enough yet comfortable. Back seat passengers did well in the Vibe, but seem to do even better in the ET. The "under floor" storage space in the rear beats the Vibe, but the Vibe had much better storage spaces up front. Visibility in the ET is greatly improved over either Vibe, and the ET doesn't feel any bigger than it is. It's too early for me to talk about MPGs, but the dash computer is indicating 28. The ET has better dash layout and controls. I also fit better in the ET--legs and seating position are much more comfortable. The cargo shade is excellent. Heated mirrors, heated seats, etc. and all at a better starting price than the '10 Vibe. Many of the littlest things are "right" in the ET. A very practical, fun car.

I love my ET! For what it's worth, and at the risk of sounding nit-picky, here are a few things that I would change:

+ Allow another 1/2 inch of telescoping in the steering wheel (as I said, I like to sit a little closer to the wheel than most people. My legs fit just fine, but my arms reach just a *little* more than I'd like.)

+ Add an intermittent setting for the rear wiper.

+ Improve the seat's lateral support for the legs. It's a little lacking.

+ The '03 Vibe had a small red LED low on the dash that would blink periodically when the security system was armed. This would be nice to have on the ET, just as a confirmation.

Sorry for the long post--first one! Got a little excited

Quick Reply: Touring Vs. matrix