Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Turn indicators (and lift gate squeaking)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Default Turn indicators (and lift gate squeaking)

A week or so ago, my blinkers started acting strangely. If I activated the turn signal, I could not make it turn off without actually turning the wheel or flashing the lights. Trying to turn off the right blinker would just make the left blinker go, and vice versa. After a couple days of this, I made an appointment to have it looked at. Naturally, the problem vanished on the way to the dealer, so they couldn't do anything. Anyone else experience this?

I also decided to have them look at the lift door on the back, which has been squeaking more than it should in a car under 5 years old. It squeaked right up to me pulling into the service bay. When they test drove it, it didn't make a sound. I went out with them, drove it on a bumpy road, and it was dead quiet. Of course it is now squeaking again. Anyone know if there is a way to make it quiet? Lubrication or something?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Try some silicone spray on the hinges, and spray a little on a rag and wipe the rubber door seal surface. I've had a minivan for over 10 years and it's basically a flexing box with a hole cut on the side and the back for the doors, and you learn tricks to quiet the sueaking down over the years.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM

I had intolerable squeaking and rattling from the hatch door. The dealer adjusted the rear door stops and the rear striker and the noise is gone.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Default squeaky life gate/hatch door

My 2011 is now doing that. I think it is the striker/lock. I've lubed up the weather stripping and the little rubber bumpers, but it still squeaks like ive got a load of styrofoam in there. My testing of pushing the door near the handle makes it squeak right in the middle. Time to take to the dealer for some warranty work.

Jeff

Old 12-31-2011, 03:08 PM

Took mine in to the dealer last week for the back hatch noise, they basically didn't want to look at it, told me it was the tray above the spare which wasn't in at the time. So for now I have duct tape on the 2 bars around the striker on the body. Took the noise out completely until I can find a competant dealer to fix this.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 AM

My car does the same thing. I have the rubber bumpers backed out about as far as they can go, and it still occurs. I would have been majorly po'ed if the dealer told me it was the styrofoam tray. Mines not in the car right now, lol.