Hyundai Entourage This minivan boasts of being one of the safest vehicles in its class.

Entourage starting issue - wonky electronics/ignition?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Default Entourage starting issue - wonky electronics/ignition?

2007 Entourage, 25000km.
Last week it wouldn't start (after night sitting in garage) - dash lit up, fueses and battery fine. Had to be towed to dealer, where they installed a new immobilizer antennae (said it wasn't reading chip in key). Two days later, same problem occured (this time vehicle hot, after running for 20 mins and then sitting for 30 mins in sun). Roadside called, CAA driver showed me a trick - locked and unlocked vehicle with key (not button on key fob) and it started. I drove back to dealer, they said bring it in next week when they opened after long-weekend. The next morning I took it out to run errands, after one stop (10 min drive, half hour in store) vehicle would not start. No tricks worked, (new CAA driver suggested eaving key in ignition in ON position for 5 minutes to see if it would reset something(?) - had to be towed to dealer where it sat until this morning. When dealer opened they started it first time with key I left in drop box and drove it onto lot. They are looking again, but don't know what it is. Any similar issues with entourages or other hyundais?
Cheers, Kodge

Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Default ...saga continues - need help!!

...so, dealer decided to replace immobilizer unit next - unit replaced, and van worked fine for 4 weeks.
Two weeks ago we were running errands. Van parked for 2 minutes, tried to start - nothing. Tried all the tricks with keys, set off panic alarm, nothing. 15 minutes later (while waiting for tow truck), played around again - and somehow it started. Drove to dealer, they looked at it, couldn't find anything wrong. Said it could be key problem, but no real idea. They put labels on each key and said make note of which key it happens with next time it occurs.
Yesterday it was towed again. Dealer service tech told me he doesn't think it is keys as when immobilizer is not recognizing them, engine usually tries to turn over, but fuel not injected (or something like that) - in this case there is nothing (small click can be heard from fuse). So essentially no idea.
Wondering how to get rid of the van - can't drive it in Canadian winter with two small kids and not know if it will start when you stop it. Going to lose money, have to look for decent alternative (non-hyundai at this rate). Noticed on TrueDelta site that two other Entourages are having similar issues.

Any ideas? Anyone heard of something similar?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry you're having so many issues. This is the only case I've heard about.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Default same same

we've had the exact problem, took it to the dealer they decided to idle it for 2 hrs then troubleshoot it. needless to say they did not duplicate the trouble. i thought it was the stater, but troublshot myslef and it's something w/ the ignition switch.

Originally Posted by Kodge
...so, dealer decided to replace immobilizer unit next - unit replaced, and van worked fine for 4 weeks.

Wondering how to get rid of the van - can't drive it in Canadian winter with two small kids and not know if it will start when you stop it. Going to lose money, have to look for decent alternative (non-hyundai at this rate). Noticed on TrueDelta site that two other Entourages are having similar issues.

Any ideas? Anyone heard of something similar?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:27 PM

This happened to us with our 2007 Entourage during the past summer. I stumbled upon a temporary fix, to use the heel of your hand and beat upward on the bottom of the fusebox area. We might have had to do it a second or third time, but it always worked. Finally took the vehicle to our dealership for another issue, told them about it and they replaced something called the IPM Module, which I believe houses the fusebox. I'll try to remember to follow up here. Meanwhile, don't forget the "beat on the fusebox" trick!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 PM

Common knowledge.... they retarded ????

Replace the IP Module (instrument panel fuse block assembly).. Be sure you leave them both your remotes, as they will need to be programmed to the new module.

You can wait on the repair if you have nowhere to be.. just depends on how long till job assigned to tech and how sharp he is to know to just go ahead and replace the module (Hmmm, refer to first line at top of reply).

--------------------------------Updated Part Number -----Comments

1 - 91954-4D070 ------> 91954-4D070 FFF Accel&Brake IMS - Auto Light

2 - 91954-4D090 ------> 91954-4D090
FFF Auto light

3 - 91955-4D100 ------> 91954-4D100 FFF N/A

Last edited by sbr711; 03-06-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Yeah, our dealer replaced the IP module, they seemed to be familiar with the problem. All has been well since then, that was nearly three months ago.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Have them look at TSB# 07-90-009

I vote they are retarded/lazy.

Last edited by Hytech; 03-07-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: ....
Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Default eventually fixed...

Dealer "figured out" the problem the same day I sent them an email about the TSB. IPM module was replaced, no problems since. Not very impressed by the dealer not knowing about this, as there seem to be a lot of other 2007 owners that went through the same thing, both here and on other sites. Thanks for replys everyone,
Kodge.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 PM

The problem is most Techs (at any shop) don't want to spend time on a intermitant problem. They would rather push your car to the side and do that high dollar service or repair. If there is a decent service manager he or she would make sure the tech researched the tsbs or called tech line and atleast asked them if it was a common problem. Either one of these things would have fixed your car.

Step one on a problem you can't duplicate is to look at the TSBs for the car more than likley there will be a fix there.

Just a Lazy Tech.

Glad to hear you are fixed!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Entourage starting issue - wonky electronics/ignition?