Hyundai Entourage This minivan boasts of being one of the safest vehicles in its class.

Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Default Power Steering Fluid

So the Power Steering Fluid level is looking a tad low and it's a bit dark at any rate. So I figured I'd do a nice power steering fluid flush at home. It's the same procedure as my Toyota and I'll post some pics as soon as I'm done.

But here's the rub .. I checked the owner's manual and it calls for PSF-3 from Hyundai. None of the commercial brands that I've checked at the auto parts store mention anything about being PSF-3 compatible.

So what do you use in your Hyundais? Is there a commercial brand out there that will give me the same as PSF-3?

By the way, I called the dealer and he said that he gladly sell my PSF-4 (the next step up) for ..... ready .... $11 for 12 ounces. Yikes!

I'm not interested in paying for liquid gold! Your thoughts?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Smile So here's a little more information

One of the things I hate is to say, "Oh no .. you have to use the X fluid made by your car's manufacturer."

So I did more research about PSF-3. Of course there's PSF-4, the next generation of power steering after PSF-3.

Of course .. here's the Hyundai Part Number of PSF-4
Hyundai Part 00232-06010

So follow me .......

Here's the MSDS data sheets for the fluids that Hyundai uses
http://dcs.hyundaidealer.com/files/r.../msds/ch67.pdf

Search for the part number of the PSF-4 = Hyundai Part 00232-06010

You'll find it .. and here's the MSDS on the PSF-4 fluid. Check out who makes PSF-4. VALVOLINE! AH HA!!
http://dcs.hyundaidealer.com/files/r.../msds/ch67.pdf

What do you think?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 PM

#3 is conventional P/S oil, we use the qts from Car Quest.. clear with slight yellow tint

#4 is synthetic, and it is green in color.. What is funny.... Hyundai sells them small bottles, go to Kia, and you can get quarts.. I have a qt bottle of the Kia, and a couple of the small Hyundai bottles..

Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Default So I changed the fluid .. here's how I did it

So I wanted to share with you the steps I used to do an "at home" power steering fluid flush. Yes, it's really possible to do this at home. I must give credit where credit is due. User Ken4 on the ToyotaNation forum taught me how to do this on my 2004 Toyota Camry SE http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19334 I adapted this to my Hyundai.

So here you go:

Before you start, go to Home Depot / Lowes and buy some 3/8" inch plastic tubing (about 7 feet should do) and buy a 3/8" barb (see my first photo)
Also, grab a little used soft soap pump to pump out the old fluid.
Finally, but a good funnel

1. Jack up your Hyundai and place on jack stands. Make sure the wheels don't touch the ground.
2. Open the hood and unscrew the 4 bolts which hold black plastic cover over the engine.
3. Here's a photo of all my supplies ...

Name:  hyundai1.jpg
Views: 14223
Size:  42.6 KB

4. Unscrew you power steering fluid cover and pump out the reservoir using your "handy dandy" soft soap pump.
5. Get a rag or shirt or pad and put it under the hoses (see my photo below)
6. Unhook the return line of the power steering fluid system. (outlined in red)

Name:  hyundai2.jpg
Views: 24252
Size:  45.8 KB

7. When you're all set up and ready to pour here's what it will look like

Here's a photo of my Camry .. it looks the same for the Hyundai
Name:  change2.jpg
Views: 25719
Size:  48.5 KB

8. Before you start pouring, you'll need to plug the return line hole on the fluid reservoir. Some have used putty, other have used the 3/8" inch tubing, others (like me) have simply used their finger. If you don't cover the hole, your new P/S fluid will simply leak out as your pour it -- and we don't want that :P
9. Get your lovely assistant to get into the drivers seat to prepare to turn the steering wheel back and forth at your command.
10. Pour in your new power steering fluid and then tell your assistant to turn the wheel back and forth. Keep pouring as your dirty, used fluid comes out your plastic hose and into the bucket you've placed at the side of the car. The turning of the steering wheel will pump out the old fluid and suck in the new fluid. Remember, keep pouring as the person turns the wheel. If you don't keep the fluid level up, air could get in to your system and that's bad!!

That's about it!!

Last edited by zachunderwood; 06-27-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by zachunderwood
Is there a commercial brand out there that will give me the same as PSF-3?
PSF-3 is the same as Dexron II/III.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Default Thanks!

Yes, I ended up using Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage Power Steering Fluid. Yes, my car is not high mileage, but it's good fluid.

I poured it both in my 2004 Camry SE (4 cyl) and the Entourage and both P/S systems are quiet as ghosts!

Thanks for all the help!