Hyundai Entourage This minivan boasts of being one of the safest vehicles in its class.

Replaced vapor canister and protector

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Default Replaced vapor canister and protector

I ran over a deer carcass and was lucky enough that it only took out the vapor canister and the plastic shield covering it. The deer body completely took out the protector (I didn't realize there was a shield until later looking at the parts diagram) and knocked the canister out of its mountings. The canister had a big hole in it allowing the carbon granules to spill out so I couldn't drive it long term with the potential for gas fumes to leak under the vehicle. I was able to drive the remaining 43 miles home by MacGyvering the box with an iPhone cord.

I ended up replacing the canister, shield, and the forward bracket. The hoses and wiring were surprisingly intact. It ended up costing me a little over $200, including tax and took about an hour to get the bent and damaged parts out then put the new ones in. Kia has the parts cheaper than Hyundai - same part numbers, just ~$30 cheaper.

The repair was basically no more than:

1. Remove the three hose from the end of the old canister.
2. Unbolt the forward bracket.
3. Get the 4 canister retaining bolts from the old brackets.
4. Fasten the new canister to the brackets.
5. Reinstall the hoses.
6. Unscrew the protector bolts, removing any remaining plastic bits.
7. Screw in the new protector.

There were teensy bits of fur stick in a couple of places in the frame but no guts or blood. No body panel damage either, surprisingly.