Hyundai Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better HF? Tell us here..

Tail light not working properly HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Default Tail light not working properly HELP!

To whom that are reading,
I have searched endlessly in the forum to no avail. I refuse to take it some where or the crappy dealership near me.
I have a 2012 Hyundai sonata , Yes we checked the fuses, the bulb harness ( replaced) also the bulbs itself and replaced the brake switch as well located underneath the brake or gas pedal , checked relay, fuses , nothing! It stays lit on my right tail light, now my left side will work but very dim! my car is past inspection and I know it will be rejected I would like to fix it prior any suggestions please !!

Old 12-15-2019, 12:39 PM

FYI,
A lighting circuit needs 2 things, power and ground paths.
It sounds like you checked everything on the power supply side but skipped the ground side.
There has to be a wire connection from that light to a good ground path. All you need to do is check where the ground wire at the light goes and make sure it has a good clean connection. The problem could be right at the light socket or any place in the wire from the socket to where it is connected to its ground path.
I am not sure if your vehicle has a separate light for tail and stop lights. If they use the same light assy to do this (tail & stop) when you step on the brake with the parking lights on, and the stop lights come on you may notice that the tail lite goes out completely because the stop light is using the tail light for it's ground. 99% of the time there is a poor ground for the LR light assy.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
FYI,
A lighting circuit needs 2 things, power and ground paths.
It sounds like you checked everything on the power supply side but skipped the ground side.
There has to be a wire connection from that light to a good ground path. All you need to do is check where the ground wire at the light goes and make sure it has a good clean connection. The problem could be right at the light socket or any place in the wire from the socket to where it is connected to its ground path.
I am not sure if your vehicle has a separate light for tail and stop lights. If they use the same light assy to do this (tail & stop) when you step on the brake with the parking lights on, and the stop lights come on you may notice that the tail lite goes out completely because the stop light is using the tail light for it's ground. 99% of the time there is a poor ground for the LR light assy.
Thank you, we have been working on this for hours youtube isn't helping lol, i believe it uses the same assembly, How does one find the ground, we are new to DIY .

Old 12-15-2019, 05:12 PM

If you look at the back of the socket where you insert the bulb, there should be 3 wires coming out of that socket, One is for the tail light , one is for the stop light ,and the third wire is for the ground that bolt circuits use. If you follow that harness/cable, it should or could go to a plug in either case one of those three is the necessary ground wire. What we usually do is , using a simple thing like a test light, which has a clip that you connect to a clean piece (no paint) of the sheet metal then probe into the wires with the parking lights on and the brakes are applied . Both should cause the test light to illuminate. The third should do nothing, that is the ground wire. You might even see the tail light get brighter when you poke the ground wire ,UNLESS the poor connection is in the bulb socket itself. You will be able to see the results very easily . Now you have more experience than some shops . lol

Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If you look at the back of the socket where you insert the bulb, there should be 3 wires coming out of that socket, One is for the tail light , one is for the stop light ,and the third wire is for the ground that bolt circuits use. If you follow that harness/cable, it should or could go to a plug in either case one of those three is the necessary ground wire. What we usually do is , using a simple thing like a test light, which has a clip that you connect to a clean piece (no paint) of the sheet metal then probe into the wires with the parking lights on and the brakes are applied . Both should cause the test light to illuminate. The third should do nothing, that is the ground wire. You might even see the tail light get brighter when you poke the ground wire ,UNLESS the poor connection is in the bulb socket itself. You will be able to see the results very easily . Now you have more experience than some shops . lol

haha! i will test this out thank you so so much