Hyundai H-1 The H-1 offers unique styling on a mini-van sized frame, excellent for hauling both people and frieght.

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Default Electrical problems

Hi All,

I've owned, from new, a 2008 Hyundai H1 CRDI LWB.

I have a couple of questions.

For the last couple of months, when starting in the morning, the engine didn't sound like it was turning as fast as usual. This would happen after 2 days without using the vehicle. Yesterday, after not using the vehicle for about 20 hours, it wouldn't start. I can't find anything switched on or any lights staying on. Has anyone got any idea if this is an electrical problem? before I renew the battery.

Also, for about 2 years now, the interior clock comes on when it wants to. Some days it never comes on and others it stays on all day. I can't link this with anything that could be causing it, so I wondered if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Pete

Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 AM

Hi Peter.
I have a December 2003 H1 with D4BH engine. My clock comes on at random, but never stays on all day. I don't think your battery/starting problem is caused by the clock.
I would suggest an auto electrician checks to see if there is any current draw when the vehicle is parked, and preferably locked. There should be very little current draw, if any when the vehicle is parked and locked.
Hope this helps, Graham

Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 AM

Thanks Graham,

I fitted a new battery and it's been fine since. I was told it was probably due to the use of the car, not regularly and usually only short distances, so the battery never really gets a chance to charge properly.

The clock is still the same though... Any ideas about that would be good.

Peter

Old 06-26-2019, 05:04 AM

my clock has failed to operate ,then comes bake to life all on its own. from time to time

Old 06-28-2019, 10:39 AM

Hi Pete,

Around 2008 just about all vehicles were made with a series of modules all part of a CAN (Controller Area Network ).
As aircon 50 suggested, might be a good idea to have a good tech check your vehicle . Some of the modules go to sleep right when you stop the engine and some others can take 45 minutes to go into sleep mode. Also after about 1 hour the accepted max current drain is in the area of 50 milliamps.. Anything over that is cause to investigate.
There are delayed accessory relays that permit certain functions to temporarily have power for windows, radio etc. Some also have a battery saver relay that is supposed to shut down almost everything after a period of time. I don't have any type explanation for why the clocks on numerous vehicles behave strangely other than something may be either keeping a lighting module active or preventing that module from shutting down when everything has been turned off. Maybe it is in the clocks themselves.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:41 PM

The battery terminals may be corroded and have a voltage drop on them
It can appear to be random that the engine doesn't want to start.

As for the clock, would investigate the power and ground lines for the clock
Wiggle wires, clean grounding points, check fuse box, etc

Good luck