Hyundai Matrix This sub compact hatchback offers excellent interior room for both passengers and cargo.

Matrix 1.5 crdi 2003 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Default Matrix 1.5 crdi 2003 engine noise

Hi,

I just bought a Hyundai Matrix 1.5 crdi from 2003 that has run 200.000 km. It runs like a charm and i am very happy about it.

However i noticed that the characteristic diesel engine sound (valves clapping) are getting extremely high and sound almost out of sync, at some times for 2-3 seconds. Mainly when i accelerate and most around 2-2500 rpm. I have also noticed that it only sounds like that when it is warm, when the engine is cold i do not hear the sound. When this happens i cannot feel it, the engine is accelerating just fine, it is just sounds.

Is it something i should worry about? Any expert that can recognize it (from my vague description) and tell me what it might be. I can live with the sound, but i need to be sure that it is not something that are about to ruin my engine.

Thanks in advance for any responses. Do not hesitate to ask, if you need more information.

Nb. The seller told that he changed the oil and filter, but now (after 100 km. drive only) the oil is black... maybe he did not, or maybe something else... just information that might/might not relate to the info above. On my old gasolin hyundai matrix, the oil was not black the first 2-3000 km.

Regards Jens from Denmark

Nb. I will try to describe the sound again, now i got the car for a few days. The engine must be warm, cold engine=no noise. It sounds really like the valves that for 2-3 seconds sounds much louder than under normal operation. It comes not regulary, but at some undefined points in time, but most during acceleration. It could also be something that rattles and vibrates, but it is quite high. I can hear it even with the radio at medium loudness. It really sounds like valves, but maybe i am just paranoid and it is something else that is vibrating.

Last edited by jensahylda; 09-29-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Problem fixed. It was a defect EGR valve.

To find the problem i removed the hose to the EGR valve, and the problem disappeared. Attaching the hose again, and the problem was back.

Tomorrow i change the EGR valve, and problem is away.

Regards Jens

Old 10-27-2017, 12:58 PM

hello my friend.. i just buy a used matrix crdi 12valve with 177.000 but here in greece i have problem to find parts for my engine.. like engine mount and other parts