Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

03 Santa Fe P1614, P1193

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Default 03 Santa Fe P1614, P1193

My 03 Santa Fe 3.5 eng does not want to tach up to more that about 2-300 RPM's on start up. Sometimes it just shuts back down and I have to restart it. Eventually after about three attempts it will start to idle up and stay running. The "check engine" light is now on so I did an OBDII check and got codes; P1614, P1193, P0446 evap sys and P0306 cyl 6 misfire. I know what the P0306 and P0446 are related to but the scanner tool I used read there was not data info on the other two codes. Can someone enlighten me on the 1193 and 1614 if possible. Also, what typically causes the P0446 evap code??? I believe I can resolve the misfire but not sure about the evap code. This happened all of a sudden so I don't know what to think....because just two weeks ago it passed our NC state annual emissions inspection with no problem.. Also, when driving and I come to a stop it wants to tach up and down and surge while I'm stopped and holding the brake.. Any information would be greatly appreciated especially regarding the 1614 and 1193 codes. Thanks so much

Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

P0446 = Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction
What does that mean:
Evap vent valve has only one purpose. It closes in order to seal the vent so the EVAP system can pressurize and ensure there are no leaks. Evap vent valve is usually supplied Batt. voltage with key on. The ECM's driver controls the ground, and when grounded, activates the valve (closing it). If the ECM detects a short to ground, and open,or a short to battery voltage on the control circuit, P0446 will set. Code also may refer to ECM detecting that EVAP system is unable to achieve or maintain vacuum during test.

Causes:
A code P0446 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
- Faulty vent valve
- Open, short or excessive resistance on Vent valve control circuit
- Blockage of vent valve
- Bad PCM

Possible Solutions:
- Replace Vent valve
- Repair open, short, or resistance problem in control circuit
- Repair open, or short, or resistance problem in power circuit
- Replace PCM
Code P0446 indicates a wiring problem with the EVAP purge valve or the canister valve, not necessarily a problem with the valve itself. I would check the wiring where the valves plug into the harness first.

P1614 = Electronic Throttle System Module Malfunction
There is a communication line between PCM and ETS unit. Using this communication line, various data such as throttle target angle, TPS output, APS output and diagnostic trouble codes regarding ETS motor, TPS and APS are communicated between PCM and ETS unit.

P1193 = Limp Home Mode On (low RPM)

Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks NovaReserach,, I believe I can deal with the P0446 evap condition. However, the latter of the situations is a bit over my understanding. Does the ETS malfunction mean that I will need to replace the unit or the ETS motor???. The wiring should be ok since no one has ever hardly touched anything in the engine compartment so I'm thinking all the connectors and connections should be alright. Can you shed some light on maybe other things that may cause this malfunction. I'm thinking the limp mode code registered due to the ETS malfunction. Could I be correct in this thinking?? Thanks so much for your time and effort in helping me understand my situation. Anything else you may provide will be mostly appreciated.