Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Santa Fe (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/)
-   -   '04 Santa Fe AWD Manual Transmission Noise (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/04-santa-fe-awd-manual-transmission-noise-15372/)

Robert Sean Tompkins 05-24-2015 06:33 AM

'04 Santa Fe AWD Manual Transmission Noise

I have a 2004 Santa Fe. It is an All Wheel Drive, 5 speed manual, 2.4L gas. It is European Spec, so this configuration may be an odd ball.

There is a noticeable clicking/purring/rattling noise that only occurs a) when the car is in gear and b) while accelerating. The tempo increases with the RPMs and you can only hear it with the windows rolled up and the radio off, but it is definitely coming through the lower portion of the firewall/front part of the floor panel area. It does not happen while idling, revving, in neutral, or with the clutch pedal depressed. This sound disappears at higher speeds and in the higher gears, but this is possibly due to road noise. It is most obvious in 1st, 2nd, and starts to fade away in 3rd gear.

My novice opinion is that it is a bearing of some sort (input, output maybe), related to the transmission. The car shifts fine (i.e. not a clutch problem), steers fine (i.e. not a CV shaft problem), and does not exhibit any other symptoms; just this isolated noise. Also, it is also very faint and almost unnoticeable while on a lift; very hard to pinpoint the source. Any assistance or theories would be appreciated. It is hard to get parts for this vehicle where I live, so I don't want to hastily tear it apart and get stuck.

George101 09-20-2015 05:05 AM

Hi Robert. You post is some months old, and I don't know if you still have a problem.

It just so happens that I have a vehicle with the exact same specs, and at the moment I have the transmission split open in order to change a leaking oil seal (I'm kinda stuck right now with an axle that won't come out, but that's another story).

One one hand the noises you describe appears to be rather faint -only with the window open etc. On the other hand, worn bearings initially makes some kind of a humming sound that gradually gets worse and worse. At the point when the noise is more like ratteling or grinding, some parts within the baring such as balls or pins may have broken loose, and a serious event like the baring locking or overheating may be imminent.

In other words, it's difficult to advise you just on basis of your describtion of the noise, and for reasons such as safety and the health of your vehicle you may want to consult a professional workshop.

What is the mileage and the ownership/maintenance history? Has the transmission oil been changed according to specifications? Has the transmission been running on a low oil level? If so, both barings and gears may be generally worn and the transmission may need a major overhaul or to be replaced. Besides the transmission proper, an AWD also include the so called transfer case and the driveshaft that conveys power to the rear wheels. These could also produce noises when worn (you may know all of this, but I have no idea of you level of experience with car mechanics).

Dylan Noter 07-30-2019 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Sean Tompkins (Post 49972)
I have a 2004 Santa Fe. It is an All Wheel Drive, 5 speed manual, 2.4L gas. It is European Spec, so this configuration may be an odd ball.

There is a noticeable clicking/purring/rattling noise that only occurs a) when the car is in gear and b) while accelerating. The tempo increases with the RPMs and you can only hear it with the windows rolled up and the radio off, but it is definitely coming through the lower portion of the firewall/front part of the floor panel area. It does not happen while idling, revving, in neutral, or with the clutch pedal depressed. This sound disappears at higher speeds and in the higher gears, but this is possibly due to road noise. It is most obvious in 1st, 2nd, and starts to fade away in 3rd gear.

My novice opinion is that it is a bearing of some sort (input, output maybe), related to the transmission. The car shifts fine (i.e. not a clutch problem), steers fine (i.e. not a CV shaft problem), and does not exhibit any other symptoms; just this isolated noise. Also, it is also very faint and almost unnoticeable while on a lift; very hard to pinpoint the source. Any assistance or theories would be appreciated. It is hard to get parts for this vehicle where I live, so I don't want to hastily tear it apart and get stuck.

Exactly the same as mine, I have 2010 santa Fe 6 speed manual

Any updates? I can't nail the cause