Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

06 santa fe loud acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM
Unhappy 06 santa fe loud acceleration

Hi everybody
I am pretty new to the self-diagnosis game, but I had to try something. I bought a 2006 Santa Fe, manual 4-cyl in August and I really liked it. When I got it, I replaced a part of the muffler (catalytic converter I was told) and got a new clutch put in (not sure how why mechanics let it pass safety if it was going to be pulling me forward into intersections like it started doing a week after I got it) within a month of purchase. It has been fine most of the winter. But then one morning I was starting it to go to work and it sounded funny, very low and loud while accelerating. I thought it was just the weather ( it was -30C here that morning) and figured it would go away once it warmed up. But instead, i got 60 out of the 70km I was heading to work and it abruptly shut off while driving. I called a tow truck and took it to a place to have it looked at. They told me the timing belt needed to be changed, and that they couldnt believe it had stayed on, possibly opening up a whole new set of problems because some teeth broke off the belt. After 2 days in the shop (apparently a crankshaft sensor was a dud in the box(?) and they had to take it all apart twice) and a $1000 bill for a new belt assembly and valve gasket-things and 4 new spark plugs, I was finally ready to get back on the road. However, after turning it on, I realized the sound hadn't gone away. It is a low vibrating/rattling noise coming from the engine. It is very loud inside the car, but not so much outside the car. It gets really bad at about the 3000rpm, sounds like the car is going to vibrate apart. Its making me think maybe I have been shifting at the wrong time this whole time? Will it just be fine if I keep it under 3000 rpm? is that where the car prefers to be? lol I loved this car when I bought it 6 months ago, but I have already put as much back into the car as I paid for it. I dont know what it could be? Any ideas? Please let me know if you need more details, I will give you what I can

Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I would not drive that car. It sounds like there is internal damage to the engine. I don't know what mechanic would replace the timing belt and give it back to you running that way but I'd find a new mechanic.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM

It may be time to upgrade your ride if you have internal engine damage.