Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

07 Limited Valve Cover Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Default 07 Limited Valve Cover Issue

2007 Santa Fe Limited 3.3 190k miles
Just put 8th alternator into vehicle due to oil issues. Decided to try it this time myself. The 6th and 7th replacements included valve cover gasket replacements by the dealer under the TSB recall (although dealer never smeared the T joint on the outside of cover/head with RTV per TSB). Alternator went in without issue. Valve cover came off without a problem. All 19 bolts were just beyond finger tight (~8ftlbs). Upon reinstalling, found bolt just above far right coil will not tighten beyond finger tight (obviously hole in head has become worn/stripped). Should I worry about this inner bolt? And, if something needs to be done, what can I do? I've read that a 1/4-28 SAE bolt would work as well? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 AM

I don't have v6,but 4 cyl engine,but when comes to valve cover gasket i can say this;PCV valve must be functional,so any blown gases will not build up under that cover.Any higher pressure will not be hold by tiny valve cover gasket,and engine oil will leak.That's first.Secondly "f" this dealer,this job need some time,to do it right,so yes-RTV must be used according to instruction,but,before installation,remove all dirt.and oil,but remove all,and clean dry ALL surfaces.After that apply RTV in recommended places,and place gaskets,and cover,finger tight in cross patern all the bolts,and slowly increase torque by specs,by the book. Stripped tread-all depends: if there is room - use tools to make new tread for corresponding larger bolt,if not,try bolt with larger diameter anyways ,if original tread is not stripped completely,you may use teflon tape on bolt's tread,just enough to get some grip,tension,slight tension will do.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM

The bolt that doesn't tighten can be rigged to work for now.
Simply put Teflon tape on the bolt. Wrap four to eight times.
Will hold til next time valve cover needs to be done

If you want to actually fix it then search for helicoil fix on youtube.
You will get an idea of what is involved with a proper fix.
Then you can decide whether you want to do it that way.
Or find a better way?