Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2005 santa fe timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Default 2005 santa fe timing belt

My 2005 santa fe has about 50000 miles on it right now. Recently on a regular oil change, the guy at the dealearship adiveced me to change the timing belt (WITHOUT INSPECTING THE CAR). The manual says it should be replaced when it is nearing 60000 miles.

Recently I have noticed that there is a strange sound comming from the machine. It is hard to describe, but sounds more like a machine where two rotating wheels are attached by a belt (i don't know if that description makes any sense to anyone). So I am wondering if that timing belt has any thing to do with it.

Also, I have noticed that the car is not running as smoothly as it used to before. Above 72/73 mph, it shakes a bit, it used to be very smooth before.

So I am wondering if any body has any suggestion as to what may have happened ? Should I change the timing belt immediately or can wait some more till it nears 60000 miles ? I do drive around 500 miles on the weekends now.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

You didn't specify which motor you have.

By the symptoms you describe, it is possible that your timing belt is getting loose.

It's an undocumented procedure, but I recommend checking the timing belt often. I routinely inspect and adjust my timing belt about every 10K miles.

It's a relatively simple procedure. You just remove the top timing belt cover and look at it. The amount of deflection, when you press on the long run of the belt, should be about 5mm (don't press too hard).

It's common for timing belts to get so loose that you wonder why they still work at all. If you lose the timing belt, be prepared to buy a new car.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:25 AM

Getting to the timing belt is not a simple procedure at all. I believe what is being described is the drive/serpentine belt, which is visible from looking from the top of the engine compartment. That can be easily changed and inspected.

Starting there would be the way to go. The timing belt should be changed at 60,000 miles as you mentioned, and is quite a job to do. Good luck.

John

Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Banned

It's simple to take the TOP cover off and look at the belt. From there it's not hard to do the adjustment. On Elantra RD it's just four bolts to remove the top of the cover. I can do the whole inspection and adjustment procedure in about 10 minutes. I suspect Elantra XD is not much more difficult.