Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2007 Santa Fe Clock Spring / airbag

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Unhappy 2007 Santa Fe Clock Spring / airbag

Hi all I love Hyundai's and have done since they started becoming popular in the early 90's..and having bought at least 6 new ones since then I found my 2007 Santa fe to be the best car I have ever owned and not one issue in almost 5 years and 119000 KM's until 2 weeks before the end of warranty when the air bag light came on and the cruise and trip meter /temp/ fuel computer started to act up...apparently this is all related to the resistance of the clock spring so I contacted a local dealer who was booked out and the other local dealer lost my confidence a while back when they could not tell me if my car had a timing belt or not and tried to bill me for 6 spark plugs in my 4 cylinder diesel.
Anyhow the dealer said wait till after Christmas and come in then so I did and sure enough whilst doing the $1000 dollar plus 120 KM service the clock spring was found to be faulty with appropriate codes etc.
Now you would think that warranty would cover the clock spring replacement for $360 but Hyundai Australia have denied it despite this problem being a world wide recall, and my approaching the dealer prior to warranty end....the reason for denial....hold on here, because one of my previous services was done by my local authorised mechanic while I was deployed to Iraq because a 60KM round trip for my wife was not good.
Anyhow I really love the product and understand things do break but if they break and someone was told prior to end of warranty it should be supported yes?

Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 AM
Zbb

Hi klompy,
My MY 2006 Santa Fe has developed similar problems with Cruise buttons not working and occasional ABS/Airbag lights lighting up. I saw the US recall on Clock Springs and think its a disgrace that the same doesn't apply in Australia. I'll be calling my dealer and Hyundai Australia in the next few days and if I don't get satisfaction I'm going to talk to choice magazine or a consumer advocacy group.