Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Chatter noise comming from hatchback door

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Default Chatter noise comming from hatchback door

I get a chattering noise comming from the hatchback door of my wife's 2001 Santa Fe when the vehicle is off. Opening and shutting the door or operating the lock does no good, the only whay to stop it is to pull the negative battery cable. I'm sure it has something to do with the power lock but I'm just looking for some back-up before I tear into it.

Thanks inadvance....

Jerry

Old 12-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Chatter noise comming from hatchback door

you could try to pull the power lock fuse first to see if that eliminates the 'chattering' noise. also, will it start doing it again once the battery power is reconnected, or does something else play into the introduction of the sysmptom?? you may have a loose connection going to gound, or faulty central locking control unit (anti-theft and keyless are many times controled by the same module for different vehicle manufacturers, not 100% sure about hyundai, though).

also, does this condition occur while the vehicle is running, or just when it is turned off??

df

Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Chatter noise comming from hatchback door

Thanks for the quick reply....
When the battery is reconnected it doesn't come back & as far as I can tell only when the vehicle is off.

How hard is it to gain access to the power lock components in the hatchback door so I can look for anything loose, any idea?

Oh, next time it happens I will try the fuse rather than the neg lead of the battery.