Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2010 Santa Fe GLS AWD - Whining noise at slower speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Default 2010 Santa Fe GLS AWD - Whining noise at slower speeds

I have a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4cyl automatic that is making a whining noise at slower speeds. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for two days and said they could hear the noise but could not locate where it was coming from. They believe it is the drivetrain, but when they would put it up on the lift, they could not replicate the noise, only when actually driving it. Since they could not diagnose the problem, they told me to drive it until it gets louder or proceeds for a longer duration. So here's the scoop on the noise: it sounds like a whining/humming noise from the front passenger side, its predominant inside the vehicle, it starts around 20-25mph and does not go away until you slow to between 10-15mph, it makes the noise in gear and out of gear, makes noise with the vehicle on and when coasting with the vehicle off, the pitch does not change, makes noise with traction control on and off, with 4wd engaged and disengaged. This noise appeared during winter. Does anybody else have the same issue or know what the cause is? This is my first Hyundai and will be my last if this doesn't get resolved. It is annoying to listen to while driving and is not my first complaint. I originally bought this last year, used with 18,000 miles. It now has 39,000 miles. When I first bought it, the dealer had to reseal the front cover as it was leaking oil. Then they ended up replacing my steering rack and pinion, power steering pump and the power steering lines because it was making a loud whining noise (after said and done, it ended up being the power steering lines that was the culprit after they replaced everything else). Just recently I had to have the right rear passenger door lock actuator replaced. Now I am dealing with this noise that they told me they don't know what it is or how to fix it. I do like the Santa Fe, but this is the last straw if I cant get this noise figured out. Any information or advice would be great! Thanks!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 PM

I have the 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4cyl automatic.

I have the same issues. It only happens during the winter.

It starts every winter and ends when it warms up. Mine starts around 10MPH and due to road noise I lose the sound around 20-25 MPH. The noise is there regardless how I have the traction controls set and also exists when in neutral and coasting.

No clue what is going on with this!

Originally Posted by luvdodge
I have a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4cyl automatic that is making a whining noise at slower speeds. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for two days and said they could hear the noise but could not locate where it was coming from. They believe it is the drivetrain, but when they would put it up on the lift, they could not replicate the noise, only when actually driving it. Since they could not diagnose the problem, they told me to drive it until it gets louder or proceeds for a longer duration. So here's the scoop on the noise: it sounds like a whining/humming noise from the front passenger side, its predominant inside the vehicle, it starts around 20-25mph and does not go away until you slow to between 10-15mph, it makes the noise in gear and out of gear, makes noise with the vehicle on and when coasting with the vehicle off, the pitch does not change, makes noise with traction control on and off, with 4wd engaged and disengaged. This noise appeared during winter. Does anybody else have the same issue or know what the cause is? This is my first Hyundai and will be my last if this doesn't get resolved. It is annoying to listen to while driving and is not my first complaint. I originally bought this last year, used with 18,000 miles. It now has 39,000 miles. When I first bought it, the dealer had to reseal the front cover as it was leaking oil. Then they ended up replacing my steering rack and pinion, power steering pump and the power steering lines because it was making a loud whining noise (after said and done, it ended up being the power steering lines that was the culprit after they replaced everything else). Just recently I had to have the right rear passenger door lock actuator replaced. Now I am dealing with this noise that they told me they don't know what it is or how to fix it. I do like the Santa Fe, but this is the last straw if I cant get this noise figured out. Any information or advice would be great! Thanks!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Default Goodbye Hyundai :)

Mine turned out to be the hanger bearing on the driveshaft that goes back to the rear diff. The dealer had to replace the hanger bearing and complete driveshaft. That solved my problem. Although that was my last straw with Hyundai and I am now the PROUD owner of a Volkswagen Tiguan. I will never go back to Hyundai again considering I had atleast 10 warranty claims and it was only 3 years old when I traded it. Good luck with your endeavors and stay on the dealer until they resolve the issue.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:33 AM

If noise is present at all speeds above 25mph the culprit could be a worn hub bearing. The faster you go the louder it gets.