Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Here goes nothin'!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Default Here goes nothin'!

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum here and I'd like to shoot out a few questions/introduce myself! I live in NJ and drive a 2003 Santa Fe GLS. My wife and I love it - we've had it for 7 years! I am just going to throw out a smattering of questions that I have, because we've had some difficulty lately with it...it has about 70,000 miles.

1. What is a reputable and reliable service department in central or Northern NJ? The reason I ask is because my wife took the vehicle to one today and was not given the time of day or taken seriously. They were very short with her (I am out of town on business).

2. There is a creaking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The service rep today said he would not drive the car because it started snowing out. My wife thinks this was BS and they were being lazy, even though no other customers were there. What is the creaking and how can I make them fix it? (sounds like shocks or suspension?)

3. The metal/plastic feeling finish is peeling off the door handle on the interior. Service guy said interior wear and tear is only 5 year warranty. Is this an easy DIY to replace the handle?

4. The wheel finish is also peeling on all 4 wheels. Why is this and what can I do about it?

5. What is the best way to get Hyundai to work with you regarding issues? I have been very unimpressed when it comes to service departments in areas we lived before (Chicago, Atlanta and now, New Jersey)

The reason I am asking all of these at once is because I am know that many of you have in-depth experience and knowledge regarding Hyundai! I am a member of another manufacturer forum and it is an AWESOME resource. Thank you in advance for the responses everyone!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Default creaking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle

Hi I have the same problem, w/ my 03 Santa Fe. I think it is comming from the spare tire cage. We looked at the breaks they were fine and the only clean metal which would show rubbing is on the that

Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by tbiggs27
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum here and I'd like to shoot out a few questions/introduce myself! I live in NJ and drive a 2003 Santa Fe GLS. My wife and I love it - we've had it for 7 years! I am just going to throw out a smattering of questions that I have, because we've had some difficulty lately with it...it has about 70,000 miles.

1. What is a reputable and reliable service department in central or Northern NJ? The reason I ask is because my wife took the vehicle to one today and was not given the time of day or taken seriously. They were very short with her (I am out of town on business).
Wrong region for me... shop around.

2. There is a creaking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The service rep today said he would not drive the car because it started snowing out. My wife thinks this was BS and they were being lazy, even though no other customers were there. What is the creaking and how can I make them fix it? (sounds like shocks or suspension?)
They all creak/moan/groan when they get aged... look towards shock and rubber bushing groan, the large rubber bushing at front of trailing arm full of rust/dirt under load... You have the frame-arm recall done yet ? Maybe you could luck into a set of FREE rear arms with new bolts and stuff and lose possible source of noise.. some of them is down right noise,,, EEEE--EEEE nise as body moves from rear

3. The metal/plastic feeling finish is peeling off the door handle on the interior. Service guy said interior wear and tear is only 5 year warranty. Is this an easy DIY to replace the handle?
Replace the door handle, not hard if you handy with screwdriver and getting door panel off... 5yr/60 part, not a powertrain part

4. The wheel finish is also peeling on all 4 wheels. Why is this and what can I do about it?
Aluminum wheels with silver paint... normal exposure to elements. Water, salt, other stuff from road and environment take toll

5. What is the best way to get Hyundai to work with you regarding issues? I have been very unimpressed when it comes to service departments in areas we lived before (Chicago, Atlanta and now, New Jersey)
Develop a relationship with the dealer, oil change, rotates, mileage services, light bulbs... anymore people show up for the free stuff and dont want anything else
Good luck in your ventures, car is out of warranty, so you be paying for noises and wear items now.