Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Am I SCREWED??? Ball joint arm....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Default Am I SCREWED??? Ball joint arm....

Hi!
I am from Sweden and I think I made a HUGE mistake today.
I dont know how this can be solved easily!?!?

I have a Santa Fe -01. 4 cylinders.
I replaced one of my ball joints. As I was screwing out one of the two (Identical) screws holding the arm in engine direction, I felt it was quite tigth. Lot of force needed.
But I managed to get it out. After replacement and assembly the time came to screw the screw in again. After (again) a lot of force, suddenly the screw just loosen. ****. Because the nut of this screw is INSIDE the "welded" metal holding up everything (Sorry my english is not so good!)
So now one of the screws is about 10 mm outside and I cant get it in further or out. Its like the nut has been released from what ever was holding it inside. Because if I turn the screw, I can feel the nut still on their, but not "stuck" whereever it should be stuck at!

What are my options?????
What would the shop do, except replacing the complete vehicle bar (Correct word?).

PLEASE any valid ideas would be preciated!
I am going to call the shop tomorrow, but it would be great with some ideas already now!

Again, THANKS!!!

BR
Diver69 from Sweden!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Yes, it's a big problem. Maybe you can take it to a welding shop and they can help you. You need to cut out the bad spot and weld some new metal. Rust is a really big problem with Hyundai, and I guess you use a lot of salt on the roads in Sweden. In the US there is a vehicle recall for rust problems.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

For future reference, anyone reading this post in the future should be advised that replacing the ball joints is designed to be done with the control arm attached. You need a special tool, which I think the lend you free at AutoZone if you buy their ball joints.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:59 AM

Thanks. I talked to a Hyndai shop this morning and they said that even they make this kind of a mistake sometimes.
They where going to cut open the "beam"? and weld new nuts into it and then seal (weld) the beam again. THey expected the cost around $200. I could probably have gotten it cheaper at a normal weld shop, but I think Hyndia will atleast to a good work.
I dont think rust was the major problem on THIS problem. (Although rust IS a problem in Sweden). More likely that the previous owner AND I did the same mistake when centering the arm for mounting. Probably the arm was a little off center when screwing in the screw.

Thanks anyway!

BR
Diver69

Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jsinton
For future reference, anyone reading this post in the future should be advised that replacing the ball joints is designed to be done with the control arm attached. You need a special tool, which I think the lend you free at AutoZone if you buy their ball joints.
I actually thought about this and at one point of time I actually didnt loosen the screw at the rear. But I had MAJOR problems with
1. Getting rid of the old rubber which is required to see the "snap ring!!!
2. Getting the ball joint out of the arm. (Is this the tool is for?) becuase I hammered in the ball joint until my arms where blue. EVENTUALLY it came out.
3. The last tricky part was to insert the new snap ring!!!!!!!!
If you dont have room here (or a special tool????) you will not manage this. My snap ring did NOT have the holes to "bend" the snap ring apart. This WAS TRICKY and very time consuming and there is a HUGE risk to damage the new ball joint or adding dirt into it.

So what was beleieved to be an easy "repaire" was actually a tricky one!

/Diver69