Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

03 Santa Fe accelerator not working and brake causes engine to stall

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Default 03 Santa Fe accelerator not working and brake causes engine to stall

03 Santa Fe accelerator not working and brake causes engine to stall.
Rough on start but will idle. After warming up for a half hour I tried to drive to work and the accelerator does nothing. If I hit the brake the engine wants to stall.
I should also add that this has happened twice. Both times after the vehicle has sat for at least 24 hours and on the two coldest days of the year.

The first time we thought the problem was due to being low on gas and possibly having some water in the tank. We did not notice the brake problem at that time.
We added gas and a chemical that would help with water in the tank. Next day everything was fine and it was much warmer. The engine light was on until the next day but went off the next day as well.

Second time I tried to make it to work (I take a lightly traveled back road 4 miles for work). I put it in drive and idled down the road. The problem continued and I finally gave up. Home from work and the problem continues. Engine light is on.
Both days were cold, below 20F.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JK

Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

If the engine light was on then there was a problem. Get the computer scanned for the code to find out what caused the light to go on.