Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Default engine noise

i have a 2001 santa fe awd automatic with 126k on her, the engine is def making a knocking noise at mid to high rpm, i noticed a spark noise coming from the engine after poping the hood and tracked it down the the bottom pulley, im assuming this the cam sensor bad? its sparking on different areas inside the pulley, also will clogged converters cause the knocking noise or do i have multiple issues.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Your description begs more questions than it answers...

Cam sensor? I would assume you mean the crank sensor. I think the crank sensor is down there. Anyway, the crank sensor is just a magnetic pick up, it's a low voltage thing, it's not making sparks.

When did you last change the timing belt, or do a timing belt inspection? Oil changes? Tune up? Plenty of possibilities for you "knocking noise". Is it bottom end or top end? Did you do a trouble code scan?

Old 06-25-2009, 06:39 PM

just changed the oil, bought it running like this so i dont know of timing belt replacement, its a bottom end knock not top end, and its def sparking inside the pully

Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Banned

Timing belts get replaced at 60K. If you have no idea, then you need to change that. No exceptions. If it breaks, you'll need a new vehicle. Could have everything to do with your "knocking".

I couldn't find any info about a sparking pulley. No doubt it's something stupid. Sounds like you need to do a complete maintainence job.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 PM

timing belt has somthing to do with the motor knocking? never heard of that

Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

If belt is stretched out, it could make the engine noisy. You need to change it anyway.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 PM

why would i change it when its not valve noise its a rod, last time i checked that had nothing to do with a timing belt

Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned

Ok, well good luck with that. Let us know how you make out.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM

today it quit making the noise all together but still clicking noise, and the spark on the harmonic balancer, it looks like the pulley itself is bad, the car still doesnt have power but isnt missing, the muffler shop told me they thought it was the converter in the manifold itself? and to add to all my problems the power steering hose is leaking at the compression fitting by steering rack............the dealership wants 100 for the harmonic balancer and 170 for the powersteering line. jeesh... and the manifold , i dont even want to say

Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Harmonic balancer is "bad"??? It's a hunk of metal, why is it bad? No logic there. They'll replace the thing and it will still spark.

"Converter in the manifold"??? There is no converter in the manifold. He's probably saying your catalytic converter is clogged. You can check that yourself. If it's blowing plenty of exhaust out the tail pipe at idle, then it's probably not clogged. Or if the converter is hot, while the exhaust pipe after it is cool then it's probably clogged.

You can try to tighten the compression fitting yourself, if that's not the problem, then probably the seals are leaking out the steering rack

Quick Reply: engine noise