Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Break-in Period?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Default Break-in Period?

Hi,

We just purchased a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and received conflicting information regarding the break-in period. The dealer said there was no specific break-in period and we should just drive normally. After getting home and perusing the manual I found a section that explains the break-in period and it says not to exceed 88 km/h and vary the speed often among other things.

We have a camping trip coming up next week and would like to take the Santa Fe on the highway so I asked the dealer about it. The dealer said that we didn't need to follow what's in the manual for break-in. Specifically they said "as long as you don't set your cruise control to 120 km/h and drive all the way to Calgary you'll be fine". (We live in Winnipeg) That doesn't really tell me much though since the camping journey is about 170 km (about 2 hours) and the highway speed limit is 100 km/h.

Can anyone provide some clarification about the break-in period? Is the dealer correct in saying that we don't have to follow the break-in instructions from the manual and taking the Santa Fe on our camping trip is no problem?

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned

88 kph is pretty slow to drive that far, but not impossible. If the motor blows up, it's impossible for the dealer to say you exceeded the break in speed. If it was my car, I think I'd observe the manual recommendation, but I guess it's up to you.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Modern cars don't require a specific break-in procedure like older cars did. In this case, your dealer is correct. A few days or week of driving normally before your trip is fine. I just wouldn't go on a 2 hour drive at a constant speed the same day your picked up the car.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

LOL! Even here you're getting conflicting information.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Default Response from Hyundai Canada

Haha no kidding, and from Hyundai Canada too! Here's their reply:

Thank you for taking time to write to us. For the first 1000-1500km, we do recommend to follow the break-in period. During that period, we suggest not to brake hard, speed ( not over 110km ish) and not to start car abruptly. Thank you.

Regards,

Hyundai Auto Canada Corp.
For the record, here's what's in the manual:

During the First 1,200 Miles (2,000 Km)

No formal "break-in" procedure is required with your new Hyundai. However, you can contribute to the economical operation and durability of your Hyundai by observing the following recommendations during the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km).
  • Don't drive faster than 55 MPH (88 km/h).
  • While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
  • Use moderate acceleration. Don't start quickly or depress the accelerator pedal fully.
  • For the first 200 miles (300 km), try to avoid hard stops.
  • Don't lug the engine (in other words, don't drive so slowly in too high a gear that the engine "bucks"-shift to a lower gear).
  • Whether going fast or slow, vary your speed from time to time.
  • Don't let the engine idle longer than 3 minutes at one time.
  • Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km) of operation.