Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

A/C Shuts Off / Seatbelt Chime Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Default A/C Shuts Off / Seatbelt Chime Questions

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD 3.5L 46K Miles

I have a problem and a question that I am hoping others may have information about. I have looked / searched through the forums and have not found the answers to either that seem to address my scenario.

First problem pertains to the A/C system. Lately, I have experienced the A/C shutting off for no apparent reason while driving (a/c is on manually, not using Auto temp settings). The air continues to blow from the vent, but becomes moist / humid and warm. After a considerable increase in interior temp, the a/c does not cycle on or cool at all. This has also occurred shortly after adjusting the temp up a couple of degrees (say from 65 to 67). When I increase the set temp, the a/c begins blowing moist / humid and warmer air. And yes, I do realize that the air should not be as cold, but it should not be moist since a/c also dehumidifies air. I've pulled over when this has happened and confirmed that the a/c compressor clutch is not engaged (thus the a/c comp is rotating) even thought the a/c button light is illuminated. If I turn the key off and restart the car / engine, the a/c will begin to function again blowing cold air. Sounds like re-booting a Windows-based computers....

My second item is a question of the seatbelt chime. Has anyone successfully disabled the chime on a 2010 Santa Fe? Some forums refer to a chime module under the dash on older Hyundai's and it sounds like newer models have the chime built into some other module buried in the center console. Is there a DIY process to disable it? Or is this something the dealer can disable?

Thanks for any help / feedback.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kuhnzoo
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD 3.5L 46K Miles

I have a problem and a question that I am hoping others may have information about. I have looked / searched through the forums and have not found the answers to either that seem to address my scenario.

First problem pertains to the A/C system. Lately, I have experienced the A/C shutting off for no apparent reason while driving (a/c is on manually, not using Auto temp settings). The air continues to blow from the vent, but becomes moist / humid and warm. After a considerable increase in interior temp, the a/c does not cycle on or cool at all. This has also occurred shortly after adjusting the temp up a couple of degrees (say from 65 to 67). When I increase the set temp, the a/c begins blowing moist / humid and warmer air. And yes, I do realize that the air should not be as cold, but it should not be moist since a/c also dehumidifies air. I've pulled over when this has happened and confirmed that the a/c compressor clutch is not engaged (thus the a/c comp is rotating) even thought the a/c button light is illuminated. If I turn the key off and restart the car / engine, the a/c will begin to function again blowing cold air. Sounds like re-booting a Windows-based computers....
Sounds like you may be low on refrigerant. Get it checked by a dealer. It's under warranty.

Originally Posted by kuhnzoo
My second item is a question of the seatbelt chime. Has anyone successfully disabled the chime on a 2010 Santa Fe? Some forums refer to a chime module under the dash on older Hyundai's and it sounds like newer models have the chime built into some other module buried in the center console. Is there a DIY process to disable it? Or is this something the dealer can disable?
Yes, it's very easy to disable. The procedure is listed on page 3-18 of you owners manual:

Pull seat belt out of the retractor and insert the metal tab (1) into the buckle (2). There will be an audible "click" when the tab locks into the buckle. If it is fastened within 6 seconds, the warning light will blink for the 6 seconds and the warning chime will turn off immediately.
No, it can't be disabled. It's integrated in the Body Control Module (BCM).

Attached Thumbnails A/C Shuts Off / Seatbelt Chime Questions-seatbelt.jpg