Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2020 Santa Fe Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 10:37 AM
Question 2020 Santa Fe Oil Leak

Hello all,

I took my 2020 Santa Fe 2.4L in today for it's first oil change (right on 7500 when I pulled in). The service advisor told me the tech thinks I have a head gasket leak. They said there was oil all over the bottom of the oil pan and the surrounding area. They cleaned it up and said they think the head gasket or main seal is leaking. I asked to see what they were describing. I looked at the area with then engine running and didn't see anything of note. I saw a couple small hanging drips in the areas they showed me, but it has been raining and the roads were wet on the way to the dealership. There drips were not growing in size, looked almost like water/cleaner that had collected on a low point on the casing. The oil levels have been fine and my driveway has had no oil drips and had no rainbow drips on the wet drive where the vehicle was parked. I've had zero issues with the vehicle. The tech said the oil level was a little low before they started the service, but not a level that caused them concern. They had the vehicle running when I left trying to better determine where it was coming from. No other indications of head gasket issues (power loss, milky oil, etc) that I noticed. I'm not a fan of such a massive tear down of such a new engine even if it is under warranty. I realize new products can contain defects. Has anyone else experienced issues with the 2020 2.4L head gasket/rear seal leaking; or, other issues like a sensor leaking in that area?

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:23 PM

As long as it is covered by warranty, give it a little time to develop and watch it closely. Just maybe something else,,,,,, maybe one more oil change and have it rechecked.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:43 PM

The final diagnosis was a tiny leak in the head gasket. I'm having a second Hyundai dealer confirm the findings next week. I'm still surprised that a head gasket would develop a leak at 7500 miles. Plan to monitor it, if I use it, until then.