Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Cruse control question (New Member)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Default Cruse control question (New Member)

Hi:
I am the new owner of a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe and I have learned that I have my first problem to solve. It involves an intermittent Cruse control. It works sometimes and sometimes cuts off while working. I know that touching the brake will turn it off but it is going off by itself. Sometimes it can be restarted and sometimes not. Any help would be appreciated... I have check into the manuals on line but can't seem to find the Cruise control addressed separately.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Check the brake light switch. Hyundai has been replacing them because they fail and that could cause the cruise to cancel.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks, I'll try that. david ebby

Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Default Cruise Control Problem

Occasionally I can't set cruise control on my 2012 Sonata. The last time it happened I was near end of a 300 mile trip and I couldn't set it. I tried cancelling, resuming, and turning off and on, nothing worked. The next day it was working normally. I'm scheduled for my 7500 mi maintenance tomorrow and of course it is working fine. I'll suggest checking brake light switch.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Default Cruise Control Problem

Had 7500 mi maintenance on my 2012 Sonata today. Car was road tested and cruise control was working normal, computer did not indicate any problem with brake light switch. My last incident was three weeks ago and was told that computer may have reset, and to come back sooner after next incident.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM

THANKS FELLOWS, Problem fixed. I found the trouble to be the small switch which the brake pedal arm rests on. It is adjustable, and by adjusting it so that it depresses the switch a little harder the the intermittent cruise control problem was solved. It may be a duel switch which also activates the brake lights but I am not sure of that.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that's the brake light switch.

BRAKE SWITCH CLEARANCE

Pedal Free Play
1. With the engine off, inspect the pedal free play (A) on the pedal pad (B) by pushing the pedal by hand.

3~8 mm (0.11~0.31in.)

2. If the pedal free play is out of specification, adjust the brake switch (C). If the pedal free play is insufficient, it may result in brake drag.

Last edited by NovaResource; 07-26-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Corrected picture links
Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Couldn't set cruise control this morning so I drove to Hyundai dealer. They checked computer and apparently it showed break light switch was malfunctioning and they replaced it. I believe this should solve problem. Thanks, Nova Resource for info.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM

My occasional problem of setting cruise control on my 2012 Sonata is back. I've been back to dealer 3 times within last month and of course everything is working fine when at dealer and no malfunctions show up on computer. Something is wrong and it is very annoying. Any suggestions on what I should be doing.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM

I had cruise control switches on steering wheel replaced today on my 2012 Sonata. Hopefully this will solve problem.

Quick Reply: Cruse control question (New Member)