Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Do I really need to replace the speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Default Do I really need to replace the speed sensor?

I had 3 lights go off at the same time on my dash. They were the ABS, ESC/TCS and DBC lights. My parking lights worked and so did my cruise control. Based on reading this forum, the problem was likely the tone disc or bad speed sensor. I took the car to my local hyundai dealership and they said my right rear wheel hub needs to be replaced because of the broken speed sensor. They are charging $585. I am the 2nd owner of the car and there is no warranty.

My question is, do I really need to do this repair? Would I further damage my car if I do not replace this part? I don't care to spend over $500 for a feature if it's more of a luxury feature than a necessary one.

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Let's look at it from another perspective.
I suppose you could call it a luxury if you had to do a panic stop and the ABS (Antilock Brake System) allowed you to steer away and prevented your vehicle from skidding into whatever was in the path in front of you. How do you see that type situation?

Don't get angry with me , but after the fact and the ABS system could have prevented a collision , I think I would rather be short $500.00 bucks and have piece of mind , than have the possible side effects of everything that comes with a vehicle mishap.

Darn ABS only works when you need it, when it works !

Old 07-07-2018, 04:07 PM

haha well when you put it like that.

I'm still not too sure what the wheel sensor does. So now that my right rear wheel sensor is broken, does that mean I won't have ABS for just that tire? If that's the case, I'm ok skipping the repair. I'm a pretty conservative driver and this isn't a family vehicle. I just don't want to further damage my vehicle and incur additional cost by not doing an absolutely necessary repair.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:34 AM

A couple of points,
It will not do any damage to the vehicle if a speed sensor is not working, but it can cause other problems where speed sensor input is necessary.
It is after all, a safety requirement and is there for a reason.
I'm sure you know how these things go, first ,well, I don't really need this , then I don't need that , then ,,,,when problems start , "why did I wait to correct these things earlier , now it's gonna cost a bundle to fix the original problem and the resulting problems". I believe it has something to do with hind site being 20/20 !

Old 07-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Update:

I ended up fixing the speed sensor. I was able to talk the dealer down to $525.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Glad you took the right path and everything is working as it should.

You probably sleep better now too,
As for me , I didn't feel any better helping spend your $$$ ,just kidding!!