Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Hyundai have now released the locking device for spare wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Default Hyundai have now released the locking device for spare wheel

Pretty much what it says on the tin. Hyundai have now released the locking device for the spare wheel. It fits onto the existing mechanism. If you haven't got one, Hyundai will charge you the best part of £1000 for a new wheel, new tyre, new spare wheel mount and new locking device including installation. So it's worth getting this locking device added to your car to prevent this. Hyundai Service paid for my locking device but I had to pay for everything else myself. If I had a Santa fe today without this device that hadn't had the spare wheel stolen, I would still be asking Hyundai to install that locking device for me for free. It's a fault if you ask me, so if your car is under warranty, have a conversation.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

How is it Hyundai's fault of the spare gets stolen? Is it Hyundai's fault if a regular wheel gets stolen?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
How is it Hyundai's fault of the spare gets stolen? Is it Hyundai's fault if a regular wheel gets stolen?
I didn't say it was Hyundai's fault that the wheel got stolen. I said

"If I had a Santa fe today without this device that hadn't had the spare wheel stolen, I would still be asking Hyundai to install that locking device for me for free. It's a fault if you ask me, so if your car is under warranty, have a conversation. "

So to be clear, the fact that the spare wheel on the Hyundai Santa Fe can be stolen so easily, is a fault in the design in my opinion. Hyundai seem to think so to because they have designed and released this new mechanism which improves the security of the spare wheel.

Some more detail which was posted by another user on another forum:-

The anti theft device protects the wheel in two ways - by covering the release cable and encasingboth the winder mechanism and ferrule that holds the spare wheel clamp.

The product is made from ferritic stainless steel, this is 50% stronger than mild steel and is therefore much harder to cut or damage using bolt cutters, drills, mole grips or pliers. The nature of this type of steel ensures that the product will not rust or weaken over time.

The price is UKP 129 inc Vat @ 20% plus 0.2hr fittings.

The new kit Part number - DP490ADU00

I've no idea if it's available internationally. "

Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by andymort

"If I had a Santa fe today without this device that hadn't had the spare wheel stolen, I would still be asking Hyundai to install that locking device for me for free. It's a fault if you ask me, so if your car is under warranty, have a conversation. "

So to be clear, the fact that the spare wheel on the Hyundai Santa Fe can be stolen so easily, is a fault in the design in my opinion.
That's may be your opinion but it's false. And wrong.

If someone puts your car on blocks and steals all 4 regular wheels is that "a fault in the design"? No.

Is this a nice option (like locking lugs) to protect the spare wheel? Yes.
Was there a fault in the design? No.
Should be be given to all owners for free? No. Just like locking lugs aren't free. They are an option you can purchase.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM

So to be clear, the fact that the spare wheel on the Hyundai Santa Fe can be stolen so easily, is a fault in the design in my opinion. Hyundai seem to think so to because they have designed and released this new mechanism which improves the security of the spare wheel.

Some more detail which was posted by another user on another forum:-

The anti theft device protects the wheel in two ways - by covering the release cable and encasingboth the winder mechanism and ferrule that holds the spare wheel clamp.

The product is made from ferritic stainless steel, this is 50% stronger than mild steel and is therefore much harder to cut or damage using bolt cutters, drills, mole grips or pliers. The nature of this type of steel ensures that the product will not rust or weaken over time.

The price is UKP 129 inc Vat @ 20% plus 0.2hr fittings.

The new kit Part number - DP490ADU00

I've no idea if it's available internationally. "
Hi Andy,

Took my Santa Fe into the dealers last week to get a brake disc replaced and the health check report stated that I had no spare wheel! I queried this and they said that there was no spare wheel on my car. I was shocked as I only changed a wheel a couple of months ago due to a puncture. I looked under the car and just saw a frayed cable! So it appears that I am the victim of spare wheel theft.

I asked the dealer if there was any way of securing the spare wheel but they said that there wasn't and they recommended that I keep it in the boot!

This anti theft device you mention is what I am looking for. I'm surprised that the dealer didn't know about it. Is this a genuine Hyundai part that is available from a dealer or a third party? I've been quoted about £413 from the dealer for a replacement wheel, carrier and tyre (fitted) but wary in going ahead as it can be easily stolen again. If this is a genuine part then I will go ahead with it and get that fitted too.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by tuco_ramirez
Hi Andy,

Took my Santa Fe into the dealers last week to get a brake disc replaced and the health check report stated that I had no spare wheel! I queried this and they said that there was no spare wheel on my car. I was shocked as I only changed a wheel a couple of months ago due to a puncture. I looked under the car and just saw a frayed cable! So it appears that I am the victim of spare wheel theft.

I asked the dealer if there was any way of securing the spare wheel but they said that there wasn't and they recommended that I keep it in the boot!

This anti theft device you mention is what I am looking for. I'm surprised that the dealer didn't know about it. Is this a genuine Hyundai part that is available from a dealer or a third party? I've been quoted about £413 from the dealer for a replacement wheel, carrier and tyre (fitted) but wary in going ahead as it can be easily stolen again. If this is a genuine part then I will go ahead with it and get that fitted too.
The part is new out last week. Someone already posted the answer to this on a different forum. I pasted the part number etc in this thread further up. That's a good price for getting new spare fitted.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
That's may be your opinion but it's false. And wrong.

If someone puts your car on blocks and steals all 4 regular wheels is that "a fault in the design"? No.

Is this a nice option (like locking lugs) to protect the spare wheel? Yes.
Was there a fault in the design? No.
Should be be given to all owners for free? No. Just like locking lugs aren't free. They are an option you can purchase.
t's not just an opinion. It's fact. Hyundai paid for the part and the fitting of it to my vehicle.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

t's not just an opinion. It's fact.
No, it's not. It's your OPINION. It is NOT a design flaw. Period.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM

I have to side with Nova on this issue. My other car is a Jeep TJ and the spare is slapped right on the back and just held in place with 3 lug nuts. The only thing that can prevent the theft of it as Nova stated is locking lugs. It is not a design flaw it is simply a matter that there are dirt bags out in the world that will steal anything not nailed down. Is it nice of Hyundai to offer a solution? yes. Is it their fault someone stole something? No. Nor is it directly the fault of the vehicle owner.