Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

I'm replacing front end parts, what parts to grease?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Default I'm replacing front end parts, what parts to grease?

Greetings! I sprung for the lifetime alignment for my 2002 Santa Fe at firestone, on sale for $180, and two front tires because I noticed negative chamber and the inner tire, particularly passanger side, was in bad shape.

I was told they could not perform the alignment because it needed the passanger lower control arm bushing/ball joint replaced, and both CV axle boots were torn and the axles needed to be replaced.

Of course they wanted a bunch of $$$ to do this, so I decided to take a friday off work and invest in swapping a few of the front end components. My odometer stopped working at 185k, and by now the car is definitely over 200k in miles. I plan to keep it for at least 2 or 3 more years, and will be doing some extra commuting, so I told the wife we gotta pony up the cash for the maintence.

Here's what I am planning to swap so far:

- Front LH and RH lower control arms, since they come with the bushings and ball joint.
- Front LH and RH CV axle, plus new boots
- Front LH and RH inner tie rods, plus new boots
- Front LH and RH outer tie rods
- Front rotors and ceramic pads
- Front new axle nuts (2)
- Rear rotors and ceramic pads
- New codder pins for control arm bushing and maybe outer tie rod/axle nut?
- Grease gun and grease for outer tie rod??
- Break cleaner
- Break pad/shim grease
- New clean pans to catch trans fluid, and I have 1 unopened quart left from when I had the trans fluid changed.
- I'm also changing the serpentine belt.
- I will borrow that inner tie rod kit to remove it.

1) Can anyone tell me if there's other parts I should change since I'll be doing all this front end work?

2) Do aftermarket outer tie rods usually come greased, or do I need to buy a grease gun? What kind of grease should I buy?

3) Do any of the parts I'm changing need additional grease? Like the lower control arm bushing, or where the CV axle meets the transmission case?

4) I watched YouTube videos on changing the Tie rods, and lower control arm since I never changed those. But if anyone has a good picture guide they can link me, much appreciated.

5) Bonus question: If I straighten my wheel, the car goes fairly hard to the right. While I'm down there, what can I adjust to straighten the wheel?

Thank you in advanced for your help! I will be taking many pictures and I hope to put together a nice picture guide on this for others