Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Key Remote/Fob falls apart - warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Default Key Remote/Fob falls apart - warranty?

Santa Fe (Highlander) 2013
The two components of my keyless-entry fob regularly come apart "by themselves". To date I had only had this happen in my handbag or hands - no big problem, until it happened when out in public, the main black button part was lost and the car left undriveable with only the manual stick/key remaining. Car is still under 5-yr warranty.
Just went to local dealership, they were understanding - the manager has it happen to him all the time whilst keys are stored in his pocket, and another lady in reception has had the same experience. They said they were unable to replace it as faulty under the warranty as Hyundai itself wouldn't honour it (and they'd be left out of pocket). I called customer care and got the same stone wall.
A quick google of other forums suggests its a common problem and people have come up with a variety of solutions from filing down the silver release button so it can't accidentally be pushed, to silicone covers and duct tape.
Whilst this information helps me with making the spare key safe, it doesn't get my main key fixed/replaced. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm sure Hyundai must know about it (?!). Has anyone tried to claim under warranty and what was the outcome?
The key is designed to be used on a keyring, but it is clearly faulty as normal use causes it to fall apart. A key is not an accessory, but a fundamental part of the vehicle without which the other $50,000 odd of machinery is unuseable. If our sideview mirrors regularly fell off with a routine bump (speed hump?) would this be acceptable and not considered a defect?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Did you ever get anywhere with this? It has happened twice to my 2017 Tucson but I haven't been as lucky. Both times the piece was lost forever. Very costly replacement and no help from Hyundai.
Their solution was to advise me to buy an after market key fob cover!

Old 09-06-2018, 03:30 PM

Nope.
I tried to escalate the issue at Hyundai and after a few days a manager from Customer Care called me back and again said it was not a warranty issue. Because the black fob was no longer in my possession (lost), it couldn't be assessed/tested to confirm if faulty, and they felt it was solely my fault that I'd lost it. This puts an unfair burden of proof on the consumer. I felt like they were saying if my wheel fell off while speeding down a highway and was lost into an adjacent lake, I wouldn't be able to say this is a fault and claim it as the wheel itself was not available as evidence!!
I wrote a formal letter to Hyundai, they did not respond, so I lodged a complaint with Consumer Affairs Victoria (ACCC, consumer law). CAV complaint process was straight forward and they were very understanding, and called Hyundai on my behalf to try to resolve it, but with no success. Hyundai still dismiss claim.
I now use strong tape to hold together our spare key, and when I meet people who have a Hyundai car I warn them. Such a common problem!
I suggest formally lodging a complaint as the only way Hyundai will have to be held accountable is if lots of people stand up and say it is happening to them and there are multiple complaints on record. It is clearly a common and unacceptable FAULT, and NOT the result of misuse by the owner.

Last edited by Littleoldme; 09-09-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:01 PM

I was also advised to bring in the fob to see if it was faulty?!? If I had the fob I wouldn't be in this situation!
I have lodged a complaint and I am urging all Hyundai owners to be on the lookout for this issue and to file a formal complaint as well.
I searched kijiji lost and found in my area to see if anyone has reported finding a fob and I found another person looking for a fob. I contacted that person to tell her to file a complaint as well. If we stay on this and tell as many people as we can, maybe they will finally admit to their fautly design.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:25 PM

I had the same problem with mine Nobody at the dealership wanted to help me or even discount the new key fob for me, to bad for them I now buy all my parts online from a O.E. Hyundai website I saved a gang of money so if you want to get a great deal check out Hyundaipartsdeal.com ever since they pissed me off i go their for all my needs. sorry dealer Lol

Old 07-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Default Fob separated and vehicle stolen

It happened to me in a parking garage in Nashville TN... and my rental car (a 2019 Sonata) was stolen! Someone picked up the detached fob and drove away in the car with all my luggage!! This design flaw needs to be fixed. Note National/Enterprise rental car company was not helpful, nor sympathetic to the issue. I was stranded on a business trip with no car, no laptop, no business clothes to wear for the meeting on Monday...

Old 10-30-2020, 10:55 PM
Thumbs down Key Fob falls apart from the "key"

Several times my key fob has fallen apart without me "pushing the little button" with any intent. Usually I found the remote part, but not this time. I told the dealership this has happened several times and should be considered under warranty. They said I had to have the part so they could prove it defective--RIGHT!!! So for a mere $400 they will order me a new one. After reading other comments, I googled the problem and found two companies who had the fob for $89 but will need a locksmith to program the new remote. I found locksmiths nearby, but haven't found the charge --yet. Hyundai needs to modify this security feature so that it doesn't keep falling apart in my pocket or when ever it "wants."

Old 10-31-2020, 07:36 AM

Some manufacturers will own up to a common problem to maintain customer loyalty while some will not.
If Hyundai chooses to adhere to this type policy , it only tells you, Buyer beware and maybe choose a more cooperative manufacturer next time purchasing a new vehicle.