Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Looking for a used Santa Fe Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Default Looking for a used Santa Fe Sport

We’re a family of four with two teenage boys looking for a new midsized 2 row SUV. I’m new to the Hyundai nameplate but it looks like the Santa Fe Sport would be a good fit for us.

We currently have a three row 2009 Chevy Traverse that’s falling apart. We’re looking to downsize a bit to a two row SUV.

I’m looking for reliability, value for money, updated tech from 2009 Traverse, and a comfortable ride.

As a family we toured the local CarMax and had a chance to see and sit in a couple of the Santa Fe Sport models. I was mainly interested in which cars would be the right size and we we’re a bit pressed for time and didn’t get a chance to drive one yet.

With that in mind, I was hoping you all could help answer a few basic questions about a 2015- 2017 model:
1. Is there anything you did or didn’t get feature wise that you would change?
2. Any surprises or concerns after you’ve had it for a while?
3. How has the reliability been?
4. While each dealer is different, generally how was the experience working with your local Hyundai dealer?
5. How is the base 4 cylinder engine? Almost all the models on CarMax have the base 2.4L 190 HP model.

Thanks for any feedback. As I said earlier I’m new to the brand but hear good things from Consumer Reports and other sources.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

If you're looking to downsize, have you considered the Tucson? I think either would be an excellent replacement.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
If you're looking to downsize, have you considered the Tucson? I think either would be an excellent replacement.
We have two teenage boys, one of which plays comp soccer which comes with umbrellas, chairs, coolers, etc. I thought the Tucson was in the small SUV category with say the CRV but I might be wrong.

Next time we head down to CarMax we'll check one out.

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Corladon
We have two teenage boys, one of which plays comp soccer which comes with umbrellas, chairs, coolers, etc. I thought the Tucson was in the small SUV category with say the CRV but I might be wrong.

Next time we head down to CarMax we'll check one out.

Thanks.
Yes, the Tucson is more of a CUV (Crossover Utility Vehicle) like the C-RV and RAV-4 but it might not be as small as you think it is. I have a 14 y/o son that plays travel soccer too. I'm was able to fit the soccer field corner flags and even a folding 10' canopy/tent in my 2006 Tucson (traded in about 7 months ago). They even fit in the 2011 Tucson that my wife drives. But those were the 1st and 2nd generation Tucsons, not the 3rd generation that's available now. I don't think the 3rd generation is any smaller but I haven't compared it with the older generations.

The Tucson may or may not be right for you but it's worth checking out and comparing to the Santa Fe. The Tucson is lighter, more fuel efficient and cheaper than the Santa Fe Sport. Might save you some money.

Either vehicle will be great but I'm sure if the salesman knows you want a Santa Fe Sport, they won't promote the cheaper Tucson as it will be less of a commission for him.