Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Santa Fe (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/)
-   -   Need help ? (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/need-help-18514/)

suvlover 06-13-2020 04:29 PM

Need help ?

2019 S-F 2.4L ….Having a problem starting it when it sits overnight in the garage. I push down the brake pedal and push the start button nothing happens. it takes several tries and I'm lucky if it starts, the brake pedal gets super firm. It feel like all the vacuum has bled off. The problem started just recently. Once I get it started and drive any distance it will start every time after that when warm. Has anyone else had this problem ?
The closest dealer is 125 miles from home a 250 mile round trip.

avisitor 06-13-2020 10:07 PM

2019? Dealer is 125 miles away?

Well, just to stay safe, Measure the voltage on the battery. 12.5 volts nominal.
Clean the battery posts and cable terminals
Follow negative battery cable to chassis. Clean ground.
Check the alternator output voltage.

suvlover 06-14-2020 08:31 AM

Thank you

Originally Posted by avisitor (Post 58985)
2019? Dealer is 125 miles away?

Well, just to stay safe, Measure the voltage on the battery. 12.5 volts nominal.
Clean the battery posts and cable terminals
Follow negative battery cable to chassis. Clean ground.
Check the alternator output voltage.

Thanks for the info, I would be surprised if low voltage is the problem but we'll see. Yes the nearest dealer is 125 miles from home where I bought the car. I'm in N. AR. the dealer is in Springfield MO. Really happy with the S-F overall but might never buy another because of the distance back to the dealership..

avisitor 06-15-2020 10:43 AM

If this were an older vehicle then would have suggested things to check
But, this vehicle is still under warranty
And do not want to do anything to void that warranty

suvlover 06-15-2020 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor (Post 59002)

Had the Battery checked out at O'reilles auto today, told me its perfect.

suvlover 06-15-2020 08:44 PM

Problem is

Originally Posted by avisitor (Post 59002)

Guessing.... my starting problem might be a weak plugin STARTER RELAY located in the fuse panel under the hood.
I'm going to buy one at auto zone tomorrow for $13.99 if it works it will be a cheap fix .

s-petersen 06-21-2020 11:30 AM

The 2011 Sonata I have had a brake light switch recall which caused similar problems, If it works like the Sonata, you can hold the start button for 30 seconds and it should start

suvlover 06-21-2020 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by s-petersen (Post 59039)
The 2011 Sonata I have had a brake light switch recall which caused similar problems, If it works like the Sonata, you can hold the start button for 30 seconds and it should start

Thanks, I'll try that in the morning before I leave for my Appt. at the Dealership 120 miles from home.
Problem...It only happens when the engine is cold overnight in the garage. Once warm it starts every time first try when out and about. I thought that a new starter rely would fix the problem-no luck with that. I will ask the dealer to install a new starter and Solenoid ? Don't want to make another 240 mile *&^%$$##@@! round trip.

s-petersen 06-21-2020 12:06 PM

I was thinking about that, overnight there is some vacuum loss on the brake booster, and he pedal would not depress as much as when just run, so that's why I was thinking brake switch.

suvlover 06-21-2020 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by s-petersen (Post 59044)
I was thinking about that, overnight there is some vacuum loss on the brake booster, and he pedal would not depress as much as when just run, so that's why I was thinking brake switch.

Yes I do notice a vacuum loss when I step on the pedal to start.