Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Santa Fe (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/)
-   -   power steering whining and foaming (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/power-steering-whining-foaming-12731/)

Jorge529 06-21-2012 07:06 PM

power steering whining and foaming

I have a 2003 Hyundia Santa Fe, everything is fine when I first start the car, but after driving for about 20 min. and the engine is warmed up I start to hear the power steering whine. It whines as I go straight and then gets even louder when I turn the wheel. After I turn off the car I went to look and there is foam in the power steering reservoir. After the foam goes away and engine cools the whining goes away when I restart the car. Can anyone help me with this I am stumbled. I put regular power steering fluid but the manual calls for PSF-3, not sure if there is a difference?

NovaResource 06-21-2012 09:40 PM

Why did you put power steering fluid in? Was it low?

Jorge529 06-22-2012 11:49 AM

The original engine seize, so when the new one went in the system had to be drained. It has 132,000miles. Its my wifes SUV, and she said it was starting to make that noise before the engine went.

Jorge529 06-25-2012 07:17 AM

PSF-3 vs PSF-4 vs regular power steering fluid?

What is the difference from PSF-3 and PSF-4 to regular power steering fluid?

Jorge529 06-27-2012 06:20 AM

Power steering is whining & foaming in the reserviour

I have a 2003 Hyundia Santa Fe, everything is fine when I first start the car, but after driving for about 20 min. and the engine is warmed up I start to hear the power steering whine. It whines as I go straight and then gets even louder when I turn the wheel. After I turn off the car I went to look and there is foam in the power steering reservoir. After the foam goes away and engine cools the whining goes away when I restart the car. Can anyone help me with this I am stumbled. I put regular power steering fluid but the manual calls for PSF-3, not sure if there is a difference?

NovaResource 06-27-2012 07:34 AM

First, stop making multiple thread with the exact same post.

Second, you can add PSF-4 to a PSF-3 system but not the reverse. I don't know what you used in your Santa Fe but I would drain the system and refill with all PSF-4.

Jorge529 06-28-2012 06:15 AM

is there a differenece between PSF-3, PSF-4 and regular power steering fluid?

NovaResource 06-28-2012 07:37 AM

Yes. Drain and refill with either PSF-3 or PSF-4

Jorge529 06-29-2012 07:58 AM

Is there a specific procedure or method for draining the fluid? Where should I unplug to drain it from.

NovaResource 06-29-2012 08:40 AM

I usually drain the system by disconnecting the return line (the low pressure line from the rack to the pump reservoir), putting it and pan and plugging the return port on the pump. Then with the engine running, steer the wheels left and right to pump out all the fluid while slowly pouring in new fluid. Once all the old fluid is out, reconnect the return line and refill all the way.