Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Santa Fe rear brake drag NOT the usual!

Old 01-24-2017, 04:38 AM
Default Santa Fe rear brake drag NOT the usual!

Hi guys we have a bit of an issue with the rear brakes on our Santa Fe. The rear brakes are sticking. After a run the discs are really hot and dragging. The garage has made sure that the usual sticking pads are NOT the issue they float nice and freely. The calipers have been taken apart and they are all okay too! They garage have found out that by opening the bled screws the then wheels turn freely. Please could someone advise what the issue may be it seems that the pressure is not leaving the rear calipers as it should. Any ideas? Please. Many thanks Mark

Old 02-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Check the master cylinder to make sure it's not overfilled.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:43 AM
kwb
Default Any update?

Hi, I may have a similar issue, do you have any update on what happened with your Santa Fe? Thanks!

Old 05-11-2019, 10:04 AM

This is an old thread. You should have started your own thread.
However, to try to answer your question, ...
One possible reason is ...
If the brake hose or brake line has been crimped or collapsed then it can act as a one way valve
Thus trapping the fluid in the caliper. Releasing the bleeder relieves the pressure.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by kwb
Hi, I may have a similar issue, do you have any update on what happened with your Santa Fe? Thanks!
Hello! I am also having the same issue with a 2010 Santa Fe with the rear calipers sticking. Did you ever resolve your issue?

Old 06-14-2020, 03:22 PM

There could be at least 2 reasons for calipers to kinda stay applied.
One could be mechanical and the other could be hydraulic.
As stated in an earlier post if opening the bleeders relieves the problem, hydraulics are involved. If opening the bleeders results in no change, then there is a good possibility something is not allowing the caliper pads to retract and it could be resistance from corrosion.
How involved do you want to get with this ? It will involve removing the rear wheel, one or both, opening the bleeders and see what change you get.
It is rare that both rear calipers have the same mechanical problem, but is still possible.
How do you want to handle this ?

Old 06-14-2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There could be at least 2 reasons for calipers to kinda stay applied.
One could be mechanical and the other could be hydraulic.
As stated in an earlier post if opening the bleeders relieves the problem, hydraulics are involved. If opening the bleeders results in no change, then there is a good possibility something is not allowing the caliper pads to retract and it could be resistance from corrosion.
How involved do you want to get with this ? It will involve removing the rear wheel, one or both, opening the bleeders and see what change you get.
It is rare that both rear calipers have the same mechanical problem, but is still possible.
How do you want to handle this ?
The drivers side caliper has been replaced within the last year and gets hot, the passenger caliper looks to be original and gets really hot. Both caliper pistons seem not to be seized and I lubed the bolts and made sure there wasn’t any corrosion where the pads slide. I think I’ll try to crack open the bleeders like you said and see what comes out. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:14 PM

A lot of folks when removing a caliper allow it to hang suspended by only the hose and that causes problems with the hoses internally.