Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Santa Fe (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/)
-   -   Starting problem (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/starting-problem-7735/)

jjdevil999 01-04-2010 08:28 AM

Starting problem

Greetings everyone, new to this forum, I drive an 07 GLS 3.3 AWD.
I have this engine start problem on and off for over a year, brought to dealership a few times, and they couldn't figure out what's wrong, and only replaced the battery at one point.

This problem is on and off, it can happen 3 times a day or it won't happen for a week or 2. The issue is, the engine will crank and crank but car doesn't start. Had to take key out try again at least 3 to 5 times then engine will start.

Today, the inevitable happened, the car died on my in a coffee shop drive-thru!!! Seems like the battery is not connecting at all, the car didn't crank this time, and luckily with a few guys behind me gave me a hand to push it through. Once I got out of the driveway it started again, then as soon as I pulled into my work parking lot it died, and won't start again!!

Now I'm waiting for the tow truck to have it towed to the dealership!!

What a great way to start the new year!! :mad:

rottenscoundrel 02-18-2010 05:36 AM

I'm no mech, but if it's cranking and cranking, I doubt its the battery. Faulty wiring or ignition switch perhaps?

2007SantaFe BIG RED 02-25-2010 10:51 AM

Santa Fe- Starting Problem

Hi jjdevil999
This is the exact same problem that I've been having for over 3 years with my vehicle!
When you put your key into the ignition and turn it to the start position (without turning it on) does the icon with the car with the key inside, doesn't light up on your dash?
I've towed it in several times with no paperwork generated from the dealership (ps. keep a log of the issues and dates!) so I'm not sure if they even did anything about it until June 17, 2008 when my vehicle was towed in (from out of town). The dealership finally created some paperwork due to Error Codes P1693 Immobilizer Transponder & P1690 Immobilizer Smarta. The dealership replaced Antenna Coil in ignitions system. The dealership told me that they weren't going to work on my vehicle any more regarding this matter.

I've started going to another dealership (with better results). On Sep. 18, 2009 the other dealership noted that there was a poor connection with the Immobilizer Antenna, they applied stabiliant 22A to Pins 1&2 of Immobilizer Antenna connector and Immobilizer connector Pins 1,2,3,4,5. It works better now but still not reliable, on Jan. 27, 2010 the vehicle wouldn't start again. When it finally started
I brought it in again requesting that the malfunctioning factory Immobilizer be disconnected. They found error codes P1691 Immobilizer Antenna & P1693 Immobilizer Transponder.
They are currently trying to diagnosis the problem and correct it. Will keep you posted for the out come!

BIG RED

cdoo 02-25-2010 02:14 PM

Key

Doesn't the key have a chip in it and is programmed specific to the vehicle? Probably what the immobilizer antenna is, or related. But I'd ask for a new programmed key to begin with, and have them move along the circuit that immobilizes the engine to troubleshoot.

If that system is not working correctly, then that is the result, turning engine won't start, or stops if the security between the key and engine controls is bad/can't be authenticated.

2007SantaFe BIG RED 02-26-2010 09:23 AM

Chipped Key

Yes the keys are chipped!
After the antenna coil was replaced I was told that the keys would have to re-sync (or reprogram) to the new antenna for the chipped keys to be read by the computer. After this I waited another 6 months before putting in a remote starter (This was over 2yrs after purchasing the vehicle). Now with the remote starter a chipped key needed to be placed in the vehicle at all times and and the other is on my key chain (in the ignition) and it still won't start!!
Something's wrong if both chipped keys won't work with the SantaFe

BIG RED

cdoo 03-01-2010 12:28 PM

take it somewhere else....

Next, I'd take it to a local reputable shop that installs stereos, alarms, remote systems, etc... There is most likely an experience pool with many different cars. I'd skip the dealership altogether since it hasn't done any good anyway. I would NOT take it to a corporate type store like best buy, circuit city, etc... but a place where people get high end stereos and mods done. If you're concerned about warranty, see below:

"Having the car dealer do your remote start is the same as having a shop do it because ALL car dealers subcontract their aftermarket electronics out to local outfits. If you're friendly with one of the salespeople you can even ask what shop they use, hehe. Having your remote car starter done at the car dealer will cost you a lot more money for the EXACT same thing. Don't let them scare you about voiding your warranty; the "Magnuson Moss Warranties Improvement Act" protects consumers from this. If you are told that your warranty will be voided by a remote car starter you are being told a lie, or the person does not know any better."

cdoo 03-01-2010 12:31 PM

...also this

I ran across this too, might be another option or what a shop would recommend:

"Many shops now use a "data module" or "bypass module" to replicate the extra key. Often times there will be an extra charge for this, but considering the cost of replacing one of your factory keys can be as high as $100 - $300, another $45 to $75 for a data module is well worth it."

2007SantaFe BIG RED 03-02-2010 08:40 AM

cdoo,
Thank for you comments & info are all options that I did look into before installing the Remote Starter such as the bypass module but it would cost the same as a key anyways. But I didn't know about the "Magnuson Moss Warranties Improvement Act" how ever this act is US law is this Canadian law (I don't thing it is).

And yes the first Hyundai dealership I purchased & dealt with they told me that it would compromise/ void my warranty. I only installed the remote starter after the dealership told me that they wouldn't address the starting issue any more by replacing the Antenna Coil that was the end of issue. Figuring this was the best result I could get. I waited another 6 months
(2yrs after purchase) before having the Remote Starter installed. Still having starting issues and reporting these to the dealership anytime I called I was told if I had a Remote Starter it was up to the RS installer to fix the problem (at that time the RS wasn't installed).

The purchase & installation was from a very reputable shop (specializing in all the toys) and was even recommended by the second Hyundai dealership (subcontracting). The installer was highly recommended with training in Toronto and has been doing this for over 15yrs (this was his 3rd Remote Starter for our vehicles).

Will keep you all posted on any updates.

2007SantaFe BIG RED 03-11-2010 10:24 AM

New Keys issued

FYI: I've received 2 new keys (one installed into remote starter). So far so good. I've been told by the dealership that if the vehicle doesn't start again or the icon with key in the car doesn't show on the dash that the factory immobilizer will be replaced even if the mileage is over 100,000km, because this has been a documented issue since I purchased it (brand new).:)

jjdevil999 03-12-2010 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone for their input, the twist to my issue was, this problem happens only in colder weather. I discovered this problem in winter of 08-09, and it disappeared during the summer of 09, then reappeared in winter of 09-10! Now the weather is a bit better now (temp in single digits to low teens), and I haven't experience this problem for last month or so..... Go figure!! Of course, when I bring the car into dealership, nothing is found as usual.