Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Timing belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Default Timing belt tensioner

Gents

2002 4 cyl Santa Fe

Do I need a vice to compress the timing belt tensioner? Is it spring or hydraulic?

Q2. Does everyone have insufficient clearence to remove the water pump pulley (vs inner fender), or are my mounts wonky?

Tks
Rob

Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by rkneeland
Gents

2002 4 cyl Santa Fe

Do I need a vice to compress the timing belt tensioner? Is it spring or hydraulic?
DO NOT recycle a 2.4 tensioner,, been there,,,,, done that..

Q2. Does everyone have insufficient clearence to remove the water pump pulley (vs inner fender), or are my mounts wonky?
You remove the mount arm between motor and frame rail, then jack the engine up to slightly gain more room to get at the pulley bolts... best done witih long straigh gearhead wrench,, then use long straight closed end to spin the bolts

Tks
Rob
Make sure you know how to time the 2.4, or it will shake on you,, good to have cam tool to hold the cams in synch too.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll love a bit of extra space to remove the pulleys.

The longer story is that I have to replace the crank sensor, and the belts and tensioner are only a year old.

But considering the consequenses, I'll replace the timing belt and tensioner again anyway.

I had a look at the sensor and geez, they could have routed the wire differently! Two bolts for the sensor...no problem. Removing the wire without cutting it, big pita.

Thanks again

Rob

Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM

DO NOT recycle a 2.4 tensioner,, been there,,,,, done that

I was wondering why you say this? I used a c clamp to compress the tensioner. Should I replace the tensioner as well? Also what about the timing counterballance belt ie) timing belt b? should that be replaced as well?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM

In most respect, the tensioner is good for 1 time around.. Myself and co-workers have recycled at tensioner, only to have belt skip..

Balance shaft belt... replace it while apart.. that is the weakest point in the system. It breaks,,,,, it will either get caught by the crank angle sensor blade and bend the blade and break the cranck angle sensor, get between the main timing belt and the crank cog and skip a bunch of teeth there and trash the engine,,, or if REALLY REALLY lucky, it will break and just bunch up out of way, and leave you with running engine with odd shake.