Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Santa Fe (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/)
-   -   Whats the better deal? (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/whats-better-deal-4953/)

MN220_3 10-24-2008 10:02 PM

Whats the better deal?

I'm looking two Santa Fe's at the dealer and am having some trouble desiding.

They are a

'04 GLS AWD with 60,900 miles for $10K

and a

'05 GLS FWD with 30,500 miles for $11K

The problem I am having is that the wife LOVES the color of the '04 (Dark Red) and that it's AWD
but likes that the '05 is an '05 (Silver) and a lot less miles for only $1k more.

ken99 10-24-2008 11:20 PM

RE: Whats the better deal?

'05 GLS FWD with 30,500 miles for $11K
With the 2005, you inherit the remainder of the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. Not being AWD, the 2005 will get better mileage. I don't care that much for the silver color either, but logic tells me the 2005 is the better investment.

'04 GLS AWD with 60,900 miles for $10K
Happy wife, happy life....

ken99 10-24-2008 11:39 PM

P.S. If you do buy the 04, regardless of the engine it has, it is due for a timing belt replaement. Do not scrimp on this service as a broken belt is fatal for Hyundai engines.

MN220_3 10-25-2008 04:00 PM

Well we are the new owners of a

2004 Santa Fe GLS AWD.....

I asked the dealer about the timing belt and he said that the 60K service was done.

How do I know that it has been done? Will it be in a database somewhere? Or what can I look for to see if they actually did change the belts?

ken99 10-25-2008 05:33 PM

Well we are the new owners of a

2004 Santa Fe GLS AWD.....
You are a wise man.

I asked the dealer about the timing belt and he said that the 60K service was done.

How do I know that it has been done? Will it be in a database somewhere? Or what can I look for to see if they actually did change the belts?
If the work was done by a Hyuindai dealership, I think service records are kept in a centralized database. In theory, you should be able to take the VIN to another Hyundai and ask if a record of the belt replacement exists. I think some dealers are better than others about maintaining these records. You can try looking at the bolts on the timing cover to see if there are signs that they have been worked on, but I'm guessing the engine bay has been thouroghly cleaned for sale on the lot. Short of dismantling the engine, I think you will most likely have to rely on trust.

MN220_3 10-25-2008 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: ken99
You can try looking at the bolts on the timing cover to see if there are signs that they have been worked on, but I'm guessing the engine bay has been thouroghly cleaned for sale on the lot. Short of dismantling the engine, I think you will most likely have to rely on trust.
I guess I can trust them, but if not, I did buy a 3yr/36K mile powertrain warrenty...