Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Default Timing problem

Last week I changed my timing belt and water pump on my 04 Santa Fe. I got it back together and fired it up and all seemed well at first.

I have a problem now.

My car drives fine at normal speeds, but when in gear and idling, it idles a bit rough. Wife drove it a day or two and now today the check engine light came on. I scanned it and got six codes. P300, P303, and P305. All engine misfire codes. My gut is telling me that I'm off by a tooth on all the cams. When I checked them doing the job, the mark on the head lined up with the cam tooth that led to the cam mark, but the tooth was on the left side of the mark. All four cams lined up on this same tooth.

Before I buttoned it all back up, I even had a local mechanic neighbor take a quick look and he said it was lined up properly, but maybe he was mistaken as well? I know the crank cam was lined up properly, I don't think you can mess that one up.

1) Does this sound like a classic tooth misalignment?

2) Could the Crank position sensor be broken? It had no physical damage, but I did have to get a new crank cog due to the plate shearing off when I tried to free the crankshaft belt pulley.

3) If I am off by a tooth, is it just a retarded timing, or could I have possibly done some major damage to the valvetrain? Could one tooth be an engine killer?

Thanks for reading!