Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Won't Crank. Battery Is Fine. What Next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Default Won't Crank. Battery Is Fine. What Next?

Hello,

I have a 2001 V6 AWD that is currently not cranking. The starter has been replaced and that did no solve the problem. The battery is fine and reads 12v, and the car has been jumped and hooked up to a mighty mite and still no difference. I do not have a repair manual so I do not know where to go next. I have checked all the fuses and they appeared fine.

The CEL stays on, but there are no error codes. What should I check next?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Won't Crank. Battery Is Fine. What Next?

Did you check the starter relay? It should be located in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment.

This may sound stupid but are you sure the shifter is in Park or Neutral? There is a neutral safety switch that kills power to the starter unless the shifter is in either park or neutral. It's very possible the switch is out of alignment or dead. What I would do is place the shifter in Neutral and try to start the car. If it doesnt crank, wiggle the shifter back in forth towards (but not into) Reverse and Drive (with your foot on the brake). I believe theswitch itself is located on the transmission, not the shifter.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM

I did get it working today...thanks for your help!

It ended up being the battery ground on the transmission. It had worked itself off so that no contact was being made. I wouldn't have found it if you wouldn't have told me to look for the neutral safety switch!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Good find! Nice job. Glad to help (even though I was wrong with my diagnosis).