Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

06 Sonata 2.4L Surging on Acceleration when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Default 06 Sonata 2.4L Surging on Acceleration when Cold

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could give me some tips on where to start with this. My girlfriend's 06 Sonata with the 4 cyl has developed a problem where the throttle would surge along with the vehicle while on steady acceleration. This only happens typically when the engine is cold along with the air temp (usually first thing in the morning). It goes away within 15 seconds or so then it is good as long as the engine is warm.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Smile

Hello, how many miles are on your NF sonata? You may have some deposits on your throttle body. you can clean this yourself if you have some common automotive knowledge or take it to your local Hyundai dealership.

1) Remove the breather hose and the air intake hose to gain access to the ETC
throttle body

2. With ignition key off disconnect the ETC connector from the throttle body.

3. Remove the 4 ETC throttle body mounting bolts and then pull out the ETC throttle body away from the intake manifold.

NOTE: Do not disconnect the coolant hose from the ETC throttle body. It is not necessary to remove the ETC throttle body completely from the vehicle for cleaning.

4. Spray a carbon cleaner or throttle body cleaning solution on the throttle valve and bore areas where deposits have accumulated. Wipe off the deposits with a clean and soft shop towel

NOTE:
• Do not use excessive force to open the throttle valve.
• Be careful not to scratch the throttle valve and bore areas during cleaning.

5. After ETC throttle body cleaning is complete, reinstall all the removed parts in reverse order of removal.

6. Torque the throttle body bolts to following specifications:
• NF Sonata 2.4L: 0.8~1.0 kgf.m (7.8~9.8 N.m, 5.8~7.2 lb.ft)
• All other 2.0L/2.4L: 1.0~1.2 kgf.m (9.8~11.8 N.m, 7.2~8.7 lb.ft)

I hope this helps you.
any questions or comments please feel free to PM me

Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Thank you for your help. I finally got around to doing this today. Since my original post there have been new problems other than the original issue. On one occasion, the car would not do anything when the key was turned, and then when it finally started, the check engine light was on and the car appeared to be in "limp home" mode. After turning it off and giving it some time, it started and ran normal. I ran the codes afterwards and got P2110 and P2119. This was a few weeks ago, and nothing further happened until today when the engine would turn over but would not start. This time it posted P2110 and P2118. I understand all of these are related to the ETC so I accomplished what you suggested and we shall see from here on.

BTW, what does NF mean?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 PM

90,000 miles on it by the way.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM

DESCRIPTION:
This bulletin provides the procedure to clean the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
throttle body of Theta-2.0L/2.4L engine equipped vehicles. If a vehicle exhibits the
condition(s) listed below and deposits are found at the valve-to-bore interface inside the ETC throttle body, clean the throttle body using the procedure described in this bulletin.

NOTE:
This throttle body cleaning procedure should be performed when diagnosing
the conditions listed below. Do not replace the throttle body prior to performing

this procedure.

Condition:
Any of the following conditions may be caused by throttle body deposits:

• No start (due to throttle valve stuck closed or air flow signifcantly restricted)

• Rough idle or fluctuating engine speed at idle (due to air flow restricted)

• MIL “On” with DTC P2118 or P2119 occurring along with P2110:

• P2118: Throttle Actuator Control Motor Current Range/Performance

• P2119: Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Range/Performance
• P2110: Throttle Actuator Control System-Forced Limited Power

APPLICABILITY:
• 2006-2010 NF Sonata 2.4L
• 2011 YF Sonata 2.4L
• 2010 CM Santa Fe 2.4L
• 2010 LM Tucson 2.4L
• 2009-2010 BK Genesis Coupe 2.0L

After cleaning and re-assemble ----

7. Without starting the engine turn the ignition key ON for at least 10 seconds and then OFF for at least 10 seconds. This procedure allows the ECM to automatically learn the throttle valve position.

Throttle Position Learning Enable Conditions that must exist for learning to take
place:

• Battery > 10V,
• Engine coolant temperature >5.3C (41.5F)

************************************************** *******************************

I would suggest also that you clean (remove paint) from ground point where negative cable attach to fender, strap bolted to left frame rail, and at the left strut tower where that clump of black wires on single ground point is beside the PCM.... slap some anti-sieze or grease on the bare steel when you re-attach the grounds..

"NF" --- > Model code

Last edited by sbr711; 02-19-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Well, as it turns out, the surging is continuing. After cleaning the throttle body, I never did the procedure for allowing the ECM to learn the throttle position. Do I still need to do this?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 PM

If you did not do it, then you need to do it... part of the directions.

While it is running,,, I want you to spritz some carb spray at the #1 runner where it meets the cylinder head... not a hard soaking-flooding blast, but a slow spritz so you can hear the engine change with the light spray of carb get sucked into the crack if it is cracked intake gasket..

Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Looked everywhere for intake leaks, none found. Performed the ECM reset procedure, no change.