Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Sonata 2011 transmission-auto or manual?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Default Sonata 2011 transmission-auto or manual?

I'm looking at picking up a new 2011 Sonata- however i'm stuck with the transmission selection. I have always driven VW- manual- TDI cars in the past, and i thoroughly enjoy VW transmissions. I have taken an auto and a manual out for a test drive at the Hyundai dealership and i felt a little disappointed in the feel of the manual stick in comparison to my VW...... i know the automatic comes with that shiftronic...but thats not a true manual shift...and i feel that i'll miss manual shift if i go for the auto. But then again i don't want to purchase a car with a transmission that i wont be happy with in a couple months...... anyone with any thought??

Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 PM

I've seen a few reviews that mention not liking the manual on the 2011 sonata. I don't drive manuals and don't have first hand knowledge.

If manual is important to you then not sure the Sonata is the best choice. That seems to be a weak point for the model.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Hello, I'm a GTI person manual to be exact. I was on the fence and didnt know if I should go with another GTI or SE Sonata. I rolled the dice and picked up the SE sonata installed HID head lights and put front plate to the side and I'm happy as a pig in ****...lol. Power and the way it handle really impressed me I thought I was going to have to give the car to my daughter. Sorry she have to take the bus or train Im keeping the car.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:51 AM

Sorry this is late but I'm a newbie & senior citizen. I love stick shift but since my left knee replacement mashing a clutch would not be fun so I do automatic. My 11 SE Sonata has auto tranny and love the shiftronic becuse it enables shfits without a clutch. Then to, sometimes I don't feel so "spirited" I let it shift as it so desires but when I feel froggy I use the shiftronic.

Look around and read reviews and you will see the engine bogs betwen stick shifts or something like that. Something having to do with the throttle control or whatever. Either way I guarantee you will love it 'cause I owned and drove a lot of cars and this is the best driving fun to drive and beautiful car to. Venetian RED with Camel interior. YYEEOOOWWW! Let's go for a ride!

Last edited by Island Guy; 05-13-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: wrong knee