Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2005 SONATA V-6 WON'T START

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Default 2005 SONATA V-6 WON'T START

I have a 2005 Sonata V-6 Auto with 30,000 miles that I am very happy with....till 12 weeks ago. One day, without warning, it would not turn over to start. Had it towed to the dealership where it started up. They checked it out and said the battery had a short in it. Put in a new battery. (I know they put in a new battery) OK. Then, 6 weeks later same thing happens. Towed back to the dealership and they put in ANOTHER NEW BATTERY for free. Now, 7 weeks after the second new battery ...same thing ...won't start. Any similar experiences? Any ideas?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Default RE: 2005 SONATA V-6 WON'T START

Sorry to hear about that but no input to help you from me...

WheelBroker1

Old 11-02-2007, 11:30 AM

strange problem, i am assuming that there is an electrical short which has not been rectified and due to this, the battery is getting drained very quickly. how often do you use your car and for how long?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM

Killjoy,

Thanks for the interest. No, the battery is not being drained. The car will start up again and again only after sitting 30 minutes or so? Took it to the dealership for the 3rd time and they said they cannot find anything wrong with it. Guess I will just have to wait till it happens again and then have it towed to the dealership (for free) and continue to do this till somebody at Hyundai figures out it will be cheaper to fix it than to keep towing it! I think it is either the neutral/park start switch or the starter,but I will welcome any suggestions......AL

Old 11-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

When the car doesn't start, do the other electrical things still work (lights and stuff)? Usually if a battery goes dead repeatedly, it means that there isa short somewhere. Do you have an aftermarket radio, perhaps? Or another place where a short sometimes turns up in the alternator; there are diodes that permit flow of current into the battery; sometimes they short out and allow flow back out as well. I would think any competent dealer would check that after a second battery died; do you know if they checked that?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 AM

When it does not start everything else works; lights, electric windows, etc. The battery is not dead. It is fully charged. No aftermarket anything on the car. This last time I had it in the dealership they said they could find nothing wrong with it. I think it is the starter, starter cable, or trans switch that allows the car to start in neutral or park, but I have not seriously looked at anything because the car is till under warrenty and I do not want the dealership to say that I tampered with it and therefore voided the warrenty. Thanks for your input .....AL

Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM

When you say everything else works except the starter, with headlights on and attempting to turn engine over do the headlights and panel lights then go out, as this would indicate a drain on the battery. Afriendof mine had this problem on a Renault and it also took between 5 & 7 weeks each time to occur from having new batteries. The problem in his case was a faulty trunk light switch which did not turn the light out. However if the headlights and panel lights don't dim, then for some reason your starter is not pulling any current.

Best of luck,

Chris.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

If at all possible, try taking it to a different dealer. Remember that you have free roadside assistance including towing; maybe next time it doesn't start have them tow it to the dealer right then and there. I realize this takes time, but.... you gotta catch their attention I guess.