Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Default 2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems

Originally Posted by sbr711
That the oldest one in the NF Sonata handbook... replace the positive battery cable assembly...

91850-3K111 $139.44 + applicable local sales tax... (this is the new number on the cable assembly), take you maybe an hr to replace it, all done from top..

VA_Bob,

This fix per sbr711 worked for me. He was a little off on the price though. I was charged $450.00. Everything works great. Had the work done in September, no problems.

Now if they could only fix the sun visors.

Regards

Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by raabates
Originally Posted by sbr711
That the oldest one in the NF Sonata handbook... replace the positive battery cable assembly...

91850-3K111 $139.44 + applicable local sales tax... (this is the new number on the cable assembly), take you maybe an hr to replace it, all done from top..

VA_Bob,

This fix per sbr711 worked for me. He was a little off on the price though. I was charged $450.00.

Regards
What all did you get done for a $450 price tag ?? Retail on part is the price I gave unless dealer jaked the price over retail,, and Warranty labor is 1.2 hr, so customer pay labor would maybe fall in at 1.8hr at shop rate..

NO WAY a battery cable should run $450...

Please line out the jobs on your invoice for review,, concern, cause, repair as written on your ticket/invoice..

Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 PM

raabates & sbr711,

I appreciate your help in responding. I have a local mechanic who is going to check out -- any specific guidance I can give him is appreciated!

I have the part# & sbr711's procedure as in the thread. if we need to do anything else to be on the safe side, please let me know.

I suspect this is what contributed to the blown bulbs by the license plate and the front fog light (driver's side). I will let all know how it goes.

va_bob

Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Thumbs up 2006 hyundai sonata electrical update

kudos to sbr711 for his fix! we had to order the positive cable assembly from hyundai --it was $139.44. our local mechanic installed at 1.5 hours and the total bill was $240.

the best news: the car is driving like a dream!

i am very grateful to the members of this forum for your advice & experiences. otherwise, i am sure we would have been swapping out expensive parts, hoping for a solution.

please note the threads: this appears to be a common sonata electrical issue, and this fix will save you much time and money!

va bob

Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Having a similar problem with a 2006 Sonata V6. What happens is while driving the heater fan almost cuts off. What I mean by this is it will be blowing smooth but for about a split second it almost shuts off. Headlights dim at the very same instant. Also had a fog light go out. Suggestions? Theories? Thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by blueduke59
Having a similar problem with a 2006 Sonata V6. What happens is while driving the heater fan almost cuts off. What I mean by this is it will be blowing smooth but for about a split second it almost shuts off. Headlights dim at the very same instant. Also had a fog light go out. Suggestions? Theories? Thanks in advance

And while listening to radio the audio goes away while the radio dispaly maintians current station when audio starts back up...

As per the many posts on up the line, replace the positive battery cable... look at tag on your current cable... new cable sports a -3k111 suffix I think it is (not had to replace cable in a while, think most have been taken care of by now..

Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Any thoughts on getting Hyundai to replace this now that I'm out of warranty? I could prove I brought it in for this issue when under warranty and had other work done to try to fix it.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Then you need your prior documentation of repair attempts, and ask for them to call their DPSM and ask for coverage,,, as the battery cable been an ongoing event for couple yrs.. Have XEROX copies to leave them, and have originals in hand as proof, but do not leave originals with dealer.. they go home witih you.. they're your legal documents.

If they aint got it on the shelf, they aint worth beans, as it is known problem part.. getting them to repair, sure, for price of cable, add maybe 1.5hr shop labor, they be glad to take the job as customer pay repair.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks. DPSM?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Thanks. DPSM?
D = District

P = Parts

S = Service

M = Manager

Hyundai Rep that visits dealers to check up on claims, resolve issues with claims, sign off on parts damaged, check up furhter on claims Hyundai deems odd/validity, customer issues on dealer level, look at customer car and authorize/deny repair, authorize my extra labor claim beyond warranty pay, make sure we playing by Hyundai Policies

Quick Reply: 2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems