Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

ways to get more power out of 2010 sonata v4 DOHC 16V

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Default ways to get more power out of 2010 sonata v4 DOHC 16V

Hey guys, new to the forum..
I have a few questions maybe someone can help me figure out what i can do to get more power out of my 2010 sonata...
I know that its V4 DOHC Engine.
Im not quite sure what the HP is but, its decent ( least it feels that way for a V4 )
What are some ways i can get more power out of this thing?

Any answers are welcome!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

It's an inline 4 cylinder engine, not a V4.

These engines don't like minor modifications like cold air intakes because they cause error codes that turn on the check engine light. To make and significant power gains you need to do major work which will void you 10-year 100,000 mile warranty.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Please leave it alone. This engine makes plenty of power. How fast do you want to go? The mechanic at the dealership where I take mine says it will do 138 mph. And I don't doubt it. The V6 will do 160 mph. And, as already stated, you will void the warranty.

My 2009 with the same engine has never lacked for power. I've hit near 100 without a hint of fade. Maybe I'm just old.

If you are bound and determined to have a hot rod, then I suppose the V6 would have been the way to go. If you want a rocket ship drive the 3.8 Azera. That thing has TOO much power.

And if that doesn't satisfy you wait until the turbo four in the 2011. Then you can put wings on the car because you'll be flying into the next county.

My rule of thumb in buying a car and you are not satisfied is to sell it and get what you really want. And I've bought 54 cars in my lifetime. Trying to modify any car today is near impossible. And I've put engines and transmissions in them back in the 1960s but that was a different time. Today, you can't even work on them without a computer. It is just not worth it.

Last edited by rmissourimule; 09-12-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Im not looking for a hot rod, im like for more instant go power if you know what i mean, more inthe lines of acceleration. The top speed mine goes is 120 and im fine with that, im not looking for top speed im looking for more power when i need to pull out to get where i need to go type thing.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by nopdswat
Im not looking for a hot rod, im like for more instant go power if you know what i mean, more inthe lines of acceleration. The top speed mine goes is 120 and im fine with that, im not looking for top speed im looking for more power when i need to pull out to get where i need to go type thing.
In that case I would sell it and get one with a V6 or a new 2011. If you modify the engine and void the warranty then you might be looking at a $4000 or $5000 repair bill in the event the changes don't work out. You can't expect any manufacturer to be responsible for unauthorized changes to the vehicle. I would read the warranty from cover to cover to be sure of what you could do and even contact Hyundai for clarification if there are any ambiguities.

The days of "hot rodding" a vehicle are long gone. In those days the warranties were only 12 months and 12,000 miles so it didn't make much difference. In those days, the engines were simple and you could change out an air filter or perhaps put headers on; stuff like that. You could also advance the timing, bore or stroke the engines, mill the heads, put a hotter camshaft in, etc., but it didn't matter because your warranty would be gone and if it blew up you went to a wrecking yard and got a new one to put it in. The cost was relatively nominal. Today, you wouldn't even know how to work on one without their computer to tell you what is wrong with it. The engineers who designed the cars couldn't tell you what was wrong if their own cars conked out in the middle of the desert and would have to call a tow truck. You can't work on cars today other than putting on fancier wheels and then you have to be sure you put the right wheels on or you will overload your bearings which again would not be covered under the warranty. I'd memorize the warranty and call Hyundai before doing anything if it were me.

Last edited by rmissourimule; 09-12-2010 at 10:57 PM.