Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   2007 Sonata AC questions (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/2007-sonata-ac-questions-19536/)

David Snyder 11-01-2021 02:03 PM

2007 Sonata AC questions

I live in Florida now where AC is a must.....if I rolled down a window in August I would die within minutes. My trusty 2007 Sonata has over 200K miles but has recently needed an alternator, water pump, and cv axles....things are starting to fail. Although the ac still blows icy cold, surely it's going to stop working. I worry about a loss of ac so much that I purchased a rebuilt compressor, o rings, and drier sock in preparation for the inevitable. My question to you gents is should I change it out before it goes bad? And by doing so now can I avoid buying a new condenser? I keep reading that the modern condensers have such tiny orifices that it is just about impossible to flush the embedded particles out that a bad compressor produces. Also, I've looked at ac diagrams but cannot pinpoint where the drier sock goes......inside of the expansion valve maybe? Any help or advice from you knowledgeable gents will be appreciated.

David Snyder 11-03-2021 03:51 PM

Since I didn't hear from anyone, I came up with a plan. I've decided against installing the ac parts prior to them failing. The reason being for one, it's a lot of work and who knows, the ac might blow cold for another couple of seasons. I went ahead and purchased a new Denso condenser though.....got it for less than $70 bucks shipped. Read too many articles stating modern condensers accumulate impossible to remove gunk even under normal circumstances and due to their "cross flo" design (think of a string of xmas lights..... if one bulb goes out the rest of the string goes dark) only the top r bottom half might cool the refrigerant rendering your new system only cooling moderately. If I was to flush out the old condenser, there is a very good chance at least some gunk will remain, restricting the system. The flush kits I was looking at were $40 bucks so for $30 more I could have a guaranteed cold instead of a cool system. Anyway, that's my plan....thanks gents

hanky 11-04-2021 07:59 AM

Hi Dave,
I believe your logic is sound in catching a problem before it shows up.
What I would be concerned with , however, is,the quality of your replacement parts that if not as good as the original built parts could be short lived.
Usually the receiver dryer (accumulator) contains the material (desicant) to catch any moisture and no sock is used.

David Snyder 11-04-2021 10:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hanky.....thanks for reinforcing my thoughts for going ahead and replacing the ac components prior to them failing. However, after thinking about how much work is involved I've decided to wait till the inevitable happens.....I'll get home from my weekly VA appointment with a red face and soaked shirt. When that happens I'll put the car in the garage and begin the lengthy task of replacing the ac items. The misses will be upset because I'll b away from under her thump.....I'll get sweaty and dirty and be by myself but it will be worth it! Thanks my friend.

hanky 11-07-2021 06:52 AM

Hi Dave,
Don't forget you will need the correct refrigerant oil to replace what comes out with the parts,also you MUST pull a vacuum for at least 45 minutes on the system before attempting to add refrigerant..

David Snyder 11-07-2021 07:29 AM

Yes Hanky I'm aware of the need to vacuum but adding proper oil (PAG?) and amount will be the tricky part. I've installed compressors before however, with less than perfect results. Hopefully, this time I'll pay more attention to the details and get it right. I think by installing a new ....empty....condenser won't through off the total oil amount. Thanks again

hanky 11-07-2021 03:15 PM

There are general recommended specs for the amount of refrigerant oil to add when replacing a component.. When possible , we drain the old oil out get some idea of the amount , then add that amount of new refrigerant oil to the new component.
Side note; too much oil can create problems too. Amounts are important.

David Snyder 11-07-2021 04:16 PM

I hear you Hanky and that's good advice to be aware of the importance of the proper oil amount. I remember when I installed my other compressors, I added oil with the thought more was better for the compressor...then wondered why the ac was only cool and not cold. I will pay more attention to the freon and oil amounts this time ...... there's a more than even chance the ac will be as cold as it is now! Thanks my friend

hanky 11-08-2021 02:16 PM

Dave,
Do you have or have access to a set of manifold gauges for R134A? I believe that is the refrigerant your vehicle uses. The gauges make all the connections and steps required much easier.
When you are ready and if you feel you would like to, any help I can offer to help keep this simple and done right . All you need to do is ask, OK?

David Snyder 11-08-2021 03:02 PM

Hanky; I have some134 gauges. They are old but should get the job done. Something I'm ashamed to admit is I never paid much attention to the temperature and humidity when installing the refrigerant. ....when the air blew cool I threw in a bit more then called it good. like tuning my old 396 Chevy, I made the carburetor rich.....a lot richer was better than a bit lean...to keep from melting the pistons. However, the exhaust would make your eyes tear up and a computer controlled Supra could pull ahead from a stop light....those were the good ol days but I'm glad they r over! This time, in my old age, I don't like my shirt sticking to the seat so I'll pay more attention and hopefully get the ac right.. I can count on you for hiccups I might encounter along the way. Thanks again