Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

headlight bulbs? 2009 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Default headlight bulbs? 2009 Sonata

What Kind of headlight bulbs are in the 2009 Hyundai Sonata? Nobody knows!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Default RE: headlight bulbs? 2009 Sonata

What Kind of headlight bulbs are in the 2009 Hyundai Sonata?
Low beams are 55 watt H7 bulbs with a Px26d base. Sometimes referred to as a H755 bulb.

High beams are 55 watt H1 bulb with a P14.5s base.

See page 6-36 of the 2009 Sonata owners manual.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 AM
NUT

Hi there ,am noob here.Just got my 09 Sonata 4cyl.and was pondering the same ,so I took the bulb out and voila ....H1b Osram, so it says on the plastic base.Also anybody knows wher to get these babies,but whole lot brighter?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM

anybody knows wher to get these babies,but whole lot brighter?
If you shop around on the internet or parts stores, you can find examples like:

http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/site/...roduct/CWH1100

Osram-Sylvania has their SilverStar series which produce brighter light. If you switch to a high wattage bulb and start blowing fuses, back off on the wattage, do not put in a larger amperage fuse.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 AM
NUT

ORIGINAL: ken99

If you shop around on the internet or parts stores, you can find examples like:

http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/site/...roduct/CWH1100

Osram-Sylvania has their SilverStar series which produce brighter light. If you switch to a high wattage bulb and start blowing fuses, back off on the wattage, do not put in a larger amperage fuse.
NO NO and NO again ,if you read my post carefully you might see the whole thing ,the bulb is H1b... not H1,big difference.But thanx anyway for the effort

Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 PM

NO NO and NO again ,if you read my post carefully you might see the whole thing ,the bulb is H1b... not H1,big difference.But thanx anyway for the effort
Yes, yes, yes. An H1b is just a variant of the SAE type H1 catagory. Any 55 watt H1 bulb should work just fine. It was poor judgement on my part to suggest you use a 100 watt bulb to get brighter light.

Perchance, would this be the bulb you are looking for (sorry I could not find a larger picture)?
[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/8DC5FBD4C4C74CE6B24337CEB9637DB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 AM
NUT

Not the first picture,on the second picture can not se the base.Wait I'll take a picture of the bloody thing

Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 AM

Not the first picture,on the second picture can not se the base.Wait I'll take a picture of the bloody thing
No need to bother. I am sure I have the confusion solved. When you kept insisting that the bulb was a "H1b" from OSRAM, I assumed you had pulled the bulbfrom one of the high beam lights. If you do pull a high beam bulb, I am sure you will find it is a H1 type.

Just got my 09 Sonata 4cyl.and was pondering the same ,so I took the bulb out and voila ....H1b Osram, so it says on the plastic base.
I think if you look closer, you will find the bulb in question is marked "H11b", not "H1b". This is one of the new "snap-in-lite" type bulbs that OSRAM has developed. Hyundia started using these on the HD version of the Elantra a couple of years ago for low beam bulbs, and made an undocumented switch to these on the 2008 Azera. It now looks like Hyundai has done this again with the 2009 Sonata. Sylvania (the OSRAM U.S. subsidiary) discusses the use of these "snap-in-lite" bulbs as one of their OEM business products:

http://www.sylvania.com/BusinessProd...enProducts.htm

but do not list any H11B bulbs in their consumer or aftermarket catalogs. I could not find H11b bulbs listed in either the GE or Phillips product lines. SO, to answer your original question:

I think the present answer is you can only get them from the dealer. If the car is less than a year old (which it is) and has less than 12,000 miles, ALL parts are covered by the initial new car warranty including bulbs. If one has burned already, the dealership will replace it for free. Aftermarket replacements? It looks like you will have to wait. No doubt, OSRAM Sylvania will offer a H11B bulb in one of their other upgrade product lines soon.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Ah - H11b - was trying to replace with H7. Was told by all sources that is the part. Was also looking for the cool blue. So have to wait. Thanx.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Was also looking for the cool blue.
I thought I should warn you that there are "H11b" bulbs of sort are selling on the internet, especially on Ebay. These "H11b" are not what you are looking for. If you have shopped aftermarket bulbs, then you know manufacturers or sellers often put a suffix on the bulb type to indicate some special application particularly a non-standard color. So a H7y is a yellow H7, H7cw is a clear white H7, H7b often designates a xenon blue version of the H7 bulb, etc. The "H11b" bulbs I found were xenon blue versions of a standard H11 bulb, which has a completely different socket from the one used on the OSRAM designed H11b with the "snap-in-lite" connector base.

Quick Reply: headlight bulbs? 2009 Sonata