Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   2008 Sonata - Won't Start (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/2008-sonata-wont-start-8368/)

roban13 05-19-2010 11:01 AM

2008 Sonata - Won't Start

I have a 2008 Sonata with 36,000 miles on it. Vehicle turns over but won't start. Dealership was having trouble determining what was wrong with it so they contacted technicians at their main headquarters. They then replaced to the electronic control panel. I had the car back for 4 days, it was starting fine...... I started it about 8 times after getting it back from the dealer and now, won't start again. It is being towed back into the shop again tonight. I did notice when I received it back that the fan to the A/C puts out a lot less air than it used to before they "fixed" it -- don't know if that might be a clue --could there be an electrical short somewhere? Anyone have any of the same issue or any ideas? Thanks in advance for all replies.

roban13 05-20-2010 11:28 AM

An Addition to my earlier e-mail re 2008 Sonata that won't start

I checked to make sure the vehicle still wouldn't start one more time before having it towed to the dealer for service last night. They called me several hours later and told me that car started just fine for them when they tried to start it! They kept it overnight to see if it would start again this morning. Now if they can't find anything wrong with it, I am really going to feel like I have an unreliable vehicle that maybe won't start at any given time.

otis66 04-25-2016 02:05 AM

Next time you have the not start problem shift the gear shifter from p d and back to p. Try and star car. If car still does not start put car in N and try to start. If the car starts the N safety switch is faulty.

avisitor 04-25-2016 07:57 PM

Yeah, six year old thread.
If they haven't fixed it by now then it is time to junk the car ... hahahaha

otis66 04-26-2016 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor (Post 51346)
Yeah, six year old thread.
If they haven't fixed it by now then it is time to junk the car ... hahahaha

Someone else will have the same problem. This might help.

avisitor 04-27-2016 09:45 PM

There is no one to answer what the real problem was ... nor what the fix was.
So, how would anyone know if they have the same problem or just something that sounds the same.
Also, with no fix, what good would it do?
But, okay, lets try to help other who might have the same problem ... hahaha

otis66 04-28-2016 01:57 PM

The problem discribed is a common problem when the neutral safety switch sticks. The car will not start. neutral safety switch is stuck. Computer gets a sig that the car is in gear the car will not start. Car gets towed to garage/dealer and in route the neutrel safety switch becomes unstuck. Mech gets in car to try and fix.....car starts. If you ever have a no start condition and the battery is okay. Put your car in neutral and try to start it . also just shift from n to d and try and start. If car startts it could be the neutral safety switch or wiring to the neutral safety switch. Or a switch inside trans.
Now if someone searches this problem they will be able to see this post and it might be helpful.

avisitor 04-28-2016 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by otis66 (Post 51371)
The problem discribed is a common problem when the neutral safety switch sticks. The car will not start. neutral safety switch is stuck. Computer gets a sig that the car is in gear the car will not start.

No, that is not how the circuit works.
No signal is sent to the ECU/computer.
Check the schematics.

Note: they call it a switch and not a sensor

Car gets towed to garage/dealer and in route the neutrel safety switch becomes unstuck. Mech gets in car to try and fix.....car starts. If you ever have a no start condition and the battery is okay.

An intermittent crankshaft sensor or shorted 5 volt reference wire can give you the exact same symptoms for crank no start. Poor or bad grounding connections on the starter can also give you the exact same conditions.
A bad ECU can also give you the exact same conditions for crank no start.

Note: some problems can have many different causes

Now if someone searches this problem they will be able to see this post and it might be helpful.

But, sure, one has to test the car to find the real problem.

e3tom 05-10-2016 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor (Post 51372)

Note: some problems can have many different causes

Yep. Don't forget the fuel pump/main control relay in this list of potential causes for a crank-no-start condition.

And yes #2: Usual NSS wiring just prevents crank by allowing starter relay actuation in P or N only, thus has nothing to do with crank-no-start.

So much for 'helping others' by pulling up ages old threads and writing untrue information inside.

Best put on 'ignore' ...