Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Oil Filter cap leak - 2007 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Default Oil Filter cap leak - 2007 3.3

I'm getting really frustrated with my 2007 3.3 oil filter cap. I bought the car used in 2010 with only 75K km on it. I've been somewhat overprotective about doing oil changes every 5K km as I believe that oil is the cheapest insurance to maintain good engine lubrication.

I've changed the oil 6 times now and up till the last change I've been very happy with the results. But on the last change the oil filter cap started leaking down the side of the cartridge holder very soon after the change. It came to my attention when I noticed oil dripping on the driveway. Under the hood there was oil all down the side of the block and in the transaxle castings.

1. I use OEM Hyundai 26320-3C100 oil filters and replace all the O rings and oil pan washer.
2. The oil filter cap gets tightened appropriately to 18 ft/lbs as stated on the cap.
3. The O ring is not getting squished, and it is lubed before putting it back on the cap.
4. The cap is in good repair and not cross threaded - it spins on very easily.
5. I'm using Mobil 1 5/20 synthetic which is not cheap so seeing it leaking out onto the driveway is a real downer.

I just watched a few DIY vids on the net and they all show the filter being snapped into the black housing before it's put back into the cartridge holder. I don't do it that way. Sooo, is that procedure causing my leak?? I find it hard to believe the cartridge wouldn't snug into the cap when it's tightened down.

Anyone know what may be causing this?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Default Update

No one?

FWIW, I took out the filter and replaced it today with a new OEM. I attached it to the cap before installing to see if that makes a difference. Then I took it to a pressure wash station and cleaned the bejaysus out of it to get rid of anything that was left on the block/transaxle. So far, the hot oil smell has not come back and I don't see any evidence of oil leaking past the O ring. I guess this is something I need to monitor for the next while.

I remember reading on this site that there's no torque rating for the cap? Not so. It's clearly labled as 25 N/M (newton meters) which converts to 18 fl/lbs. I didn't use a wrench on the filter cap though. After discussing this with a local Hyundai service tech, he suggested it just be hand tightened like a conventional oil filter. Hand tight is pretty snug as the cap spun on really easily.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

There are 2 different caps, one with a hex head on the top, one without. (There are also 2 different filters for those caps).

Originally Posted by NovaResource
If the cap looks like this it takes the taller filter (26320-3C100):

If the cap looks like this it takes the shorter filter (26320-3C250):
The one on my wife's 3.8L Sedona does not have the hex head and I do what your dealer suggested. I get it hand tight and then use a filter wrench to get it to turn a few degrees more (not too much).

I've never had a problem but it's possible yours was damaged by a previous owner and that's why it's not sealing properly. If the leak comes back, I'd suggest buying a new one. You could always try a used one but you may get one that has the same problem.

You also have to verify the leak is from the filter and not from another location near the filter that makes it look like the filter cap.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Thanks NR,
I use the 26320-3C100 filters on my 3.3 and am careful to stay with OEM parts. There is absolutely no question that the oil is leaking from the oil cap/o ring. There was quite a trail of it down the side of the canister. The first time I saw the leak it appeared the O ring had bulged out. With the last oil change I was careful to ensure the O ring was properly seated and lubed, no twists anywhere and hand tightened only.

I don't think the PO damaged anything as she never did the oil changes - they were always done at Northstar Hyundai as the car was under warranty. So if anyone damaged the cap it would have had to be a trained tech, which I think unlikely to occur.

On a side note, the car has also just started to weep a bit of oil from the oil pan gasket, which I just noticed AFTER adding new Mobil 1 synthetic....

The oil filter cap problem leaked out almost a litre of oil in just over 600 miles before I noticed it. The tip off was the oil smell and slight ticking of the engine. The oil light did not come on as there was still enough oil (just above the add mark).