Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   2010 Sonata - Shutter and ESC-Off Light (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/2010-sonata-shutter-esc-off-light-17778/)

scottp68 07-22-2019 10:15 AM

2010 Sonata - Shutter and ESC-Off Light

I have 2010 Sonata with a 2.4L, LE. While driving I get a slight shutter and then the ESC-Off light comes on. Seems to drive ok, but the idle when stopped seems low and shakes a bit. Don't think is has died though. Check engine light comes on sometimes as well. Seems to reset when you turn the car off and on. Thought I think the check engine light stays on sometimes. It will go off on its own, does not need reset.

I replaced the brake light switch and that had no effect.

I will pull the codes here soon.

Does anyone have any ideas? It seems to be somewhat common, but I don't see a common fix beyond the brake light switch.

thanks in advance,
Scott

rasun 03-16-2020 08:27 PM

solution

I am having the same exact issues. What did you do? I had this issue a year back and I thought it was fixed because I took it to the mechanic. Now, it's back again.

hanky 03-17-2020 03:53 AM

Since ESC is dependent upon info from wheel speed sensors, one of them could be the source of the problem.
To help make a decent diagnosis,, a code check just might supply the info as to which wheel could be giving the problem.

Jacob.h 02-21-2023 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by scottp68 (Post 56554)
I have 2010 Sonata with a 2.4L, LE. While driving I get a slight shutter and then the ESC-Off light comes on. Seems to drive ok, but the idle when stopped seems low and shakes a bit. Don't think is has died though. Check engine light comes on sometimes as well. Seems to reset when you turn the car off and on. Thought I think the check engine light stays on sometimes. It will go off on its own, does not need reset.

I replaced the brake light switch and that had no effect.

I will pull the codes here soon.

Does anyone have any ideas? It seems to be somewhat common, but I don't see a common fix beyond the brake light switch.

thanks in advance,
Scott

Did you resolve this issue? I think everyone who posted this issues just died because no one has the solution past the brake light switch and taking it to the dealership.

hanky 02-21-2023 02:21 PM

If it was only that easy.
With all the components in newer vehicles these days, there are so many things that could go wrong and with out some direction from a code or two, it can be time consuming and expensive.
The average shop without the special equip and training and info doesn't stand a chance.
The days of the quick fix are gone and now it takes special equip and how to use it to BEGIN a diagnosis.

If we took two people and asked them to describe a condition we would usually get two different descriptions and that can get confusing too.