Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata GPS is Confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Default 2011 Sonata GPS is Confused

Just bought this car 3 days ago. Navigation system appears to be confused. It won't pick up things in our local area, i.e., a Walmart that is 5 miles away. When I search for Walmart it picks up one 145 miles away. On the route to home it tells me to turn on a dead end street, says my home is on the right when it's actually on the left. It makes me wonder if I can trust it at all. Does anyone know if it has to be programmed for my area since we bought it at a dealership 2 hrs and 20 minutes away?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 AM

That should not be an issue. The whole point of a GPS is it knows where you are at all times, hopefully. But it's only as good as the mapping information it has. If the only place you have problems are near home I would say it's probably a mapping issue and the info for your area is not up to date or accurate. If you are having problems all over the place I would take it into the delaer to have checked out. There may be an update available to correct known issues or your unit may be defective and need to be replaced.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Default 2011 Sonata GPS is confused

Thanks Rallyman. My thoughts exactly. However after driving 3 hours back to the dealership, they said it checked out fine. They said it was "zoomed Out" instead of "zoomed in" so they changed that. Taking me home instead of the 96 mile route on two lane roads in little 30 mph cities, it took me on a 122 route through the state parks that would have made a roller coaster lover thriiled. Up and downs and turn after turn of sharp curves. The series of the curves mades an S look like a straight line. It was horrible. I HATE this car. Its noisy. My daughter was on the phone with me and said I had put up my windows because it was thundering like crazy. Windows were up and not a cloud in the sky.